How to hook up uMBP to 2 monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blakediamond, Oct 16, 2009.

1. blakediamond macrumors newbie

I'm in the process of building my home office and I need to use my mbp as a desktop sometimes. What's the easiest way to do this? What cables do I need?and any suggestions for types of monitors?

Thanks in advannce!

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Matrox Dual/TripleHead2Go DP will be the cleanest thing available for what you require. It seems like it should be released soon but a google search only brings up one vendor who is taking preorders. Their website (matrox) says its slated for a Q3/2009 release.

It'll give you 2/3 DisplayPort outputs for which you will then need the appropriate adapters unless your displays are DP native.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/press/releases/2009/gxm/gxm_dp/

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Matrox has been selling a DVI solution of the DualHead2Go for quite a while. One DVI in, two DVI out for the MacBookPro. This way, you only need one adapter for the MiniDisplayPort-->DVI for the input, assuming you have DVI monitors.

4. MattBaker macrumors member

5. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Slow down and do the research.

The last time that I pushed into the Matrox web-site I found that the uMBP was not supported at higher resolutions. I own the Matrox DualHead2Go, Digital Edition and it worked great on the "classic MBP's" that have the full size DVI port. My experience was the the 2.4 SR version MBPs and I ran two Dell 20" LCDs at 3200 x 16; it was great.

However I found to my dismay that the MDP on the uMBP's do not work with the device. Later after the uMBP's were on the street, I found this support information (of lack of support) buried on the Matrox support web site.

I found and use a EVGA UV Plus+ | Model: UV16, USB to DVI adapter to drive my second external screen. So I work with my 17" uMBP open (1920 x 1200) and two Dells at 1600 x 1200.

Neil

6. blakediamond thread starter macrumors newbie

geez i'm super confused.

so i need an item that is not yet available and it's not even going to do what i want? is that the gist of it?

i just wana run 2 monitors with my umbp closed.
    :(

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Would using the MDP-->Dual-Link DVI adapter solve the resolution issue with the DualHead2Go Digital?

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah, but the DVI solution is less robust than the DP edition. I'm under the impression that the DP solution drives the monitors as independent displays, utilizing DP's built in daisy chaining abilities. The DVI solution uses a large resolution to span against multiple displays; since a dvi port can't daisychain in the same fashion.

Utilizing the Dual/TripleHead2Go DP will allow him to keep an all digital all DP connection up until he gets to the monitors where he can utilize a couple of these or a couple of straight DP -> Male DVI cables. Theoretically the daisy chaning ability is then barred only by his graphical capabilities.

Anyway OP that should work for you assuming it really is daisychaning. It looks like alot of vendors have started selling the device.

9. blakediamond thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't find where to buy the one I need. Any suggestions?