how to hook up with printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skiff, May 3, 2012.

1. skiff macrumors member

I live in a retirement community that provides many amenities including five or six PCs plus a very nice printer. I don't know PCs for beans and thus I'm denied use of the printer. My 4.1 MacBook running OS X 10.5.8 works great with the wireless set-up in the library so I'm not completely dead. However, the resident half nerd doesn't seem able to introduce my machine to the printer to enable me to use it. Of course, my goal is to click PRINT on my Apple, and collect stuff from the printer. I don't know know how to tell if the printer is compatible with Apple. I'd appreciate relevant information. At 90, my brain isn't exactly swift, but it'll know what to do with good advice.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any printer that's not outdated should be compatible with both Windows PCs and Macs. Is the printer shared on the wireless network? If so, you may be able to connect wirelessly. This may help:

Mac 101: Connect your printer
    Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Adding a network printer

3. skiff thread starter macrumors member

The information you provided pointed me in the right direction. The right direction was one of the young maintenance man here who ran with the ball. I showed him what you had written and evidently it was enough to get me hooked up. Best of all, for a modest expenditure (router) I'm going wireless. What a thrill to press PRINT and hear the printer 10 feet away making all kinds of ridiculous noises as it prints away.

Thank you a million.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm glad you got it working! Enjoy!