How to Hookup Macbook to TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Iglio, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Iglio macrumors regular

So I would like to hook up my black macbook to my tv in order to watch movies at the comfort of my couch and not desk chair (which has now ripped my back to shreds.) I talked to apple and they said that I would need to buy their mini-DVI to video adapter, and thats all good. However I need to also buy a "MacBook AV composite cable." Would anyone know where to purchase this cable? Thanks for the responses and Happy New Year!

2. Acidglaze macrumors member

Mini Stereo to RCA

All you really need is a mini stereo to rca cable. It looks like a headphone cable that splits out into the red and white (left and right) rca connections (instead of the earpieces). You can usually find this anywhere online and in most stores (wal-mart, radio shack, etc.).

I use this same setup with my macbook pro (except with a DVI to HDMI cable) and it works great.

Just plug that cable into the headphone jack on your blackbook and you're ready to connect to your TV.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Can't really give you accurate advice unless you tell us about your TV.

I'm assuming that you have a TV with HDMI.

So what you need is either

a)Apple's miniDVI to DVI adapter plus a DVI-HDMI cable

OR

b)monoprice's miniDVI to HDMI adapter plus an HDMI cable

In addition, you'll need a way to output your audio to the TV. Many TVs will have an auxiliary audio input for at least one HDMI port. Check to see if your TV does. If it does, then you'll need a 3.5mm mini-jack cable/adapter for the Blackbook end and whatever your TV takes on the other end. My Sharp has RCA audio inputs, but some TVs have a 3.5mm mini-jack input.

ft