How to I change my dock icons without Candybar?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrono1081, Oct 1, 2009.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

How do I change my dock icons without candybar?

Every tutorial I find either only tells you how to make the icons, but never tells you how to swap icons, like the finder icon for example. (I want to make the pumpkin finder for halloween.)

Anyone know of a tutorial that shows how to swap them? Or where these original icons are on the computer?

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Go to the icon you want and highlight it (single click).
    Get Info (Command + I)
    Select the icon in the get info window (single click and should have a light blue border)
    Copy the selection (Command + C)
    Go to the actual application of the Dock icon (usually in the boot volume/Applications folder)
    Get Info
    Select the icon in the get info window
    Paste the icon (Command + V)

The application icon should have changed. If it did not then you may not have done all the steps correctly or you need to change permissions for the application file.

Once the icon has changed you can either relaunch the program and the dock icon should now reflect the change. You can also drag the application link from the dock and redrag it from the application folder.

If you accidentally placed the wrong icon you can undo the action while the Get Info window is still open (Command + Z). If you have already closed the window it is too late to revert the icon if you did not copy the original to say a blank folder.

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thank you for the tip :)

Unfortunately it isn't working for me :/

4. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

I have always been able to go back to the original icon by selecting the icon at the top of the get info window and then use the delete key.