How to I properly handle my new baby (and memory question)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac2004, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

This is probably a dumb question.....

What is the proper way to carry your Imac (and placing it in car) if you are taking it in to get fixed, etc. Do you grab it under the monitor or by the aluminum stand? I just don't want to break anytrhing on my new baby!!!!!

I have a new 17 inch Imac and I love it.

Also, how easy is it to install memory for a newbie and should I only get Apple memory???

If all I am going to use my computer for is internet, email, and writing letters is 512MB sufficient? Apple Store told me they would install for $30 and the extra 512MB od memory to bring it up over a gig would cost $175....

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If I were transporting my iMac, i would probably put it back in it's box. I think they are fairly sturdy though, i would probably pick it up by holding the base of the monitor, either side of the stand.

RAM is easy to install, there is a small panel on the base of the monitor that can be unscrewed to access the RAM. DON'T buy apple RAM, way overpriced and no different to other RAM. I use otherworldcomputing.com for my RAM needs, y mac friendly, and cheap prices.

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I second that.

I just installed another gig on my boss's 17 inch imac and it took .... 5 min I think :) Very easy. With ram so cheap now adays I would order a gig stick (you can find them for like 50 bucks or so) I got some gskill ram and it works great, from... new egg.

You could just get another 512 but you may as well get 1 gig and sell the 512 if you are going to do that because it's easier to upgrade later if you don't have two 512s. If I were you i'd upgrade another gig because of that.

I know my boss's computer we only do word processing and email basically, but office tends to bog it down a bit since it runs via rosetta right now (non-native) and it's just nice to have that extra burst of speed when on the web if the cache gets built up, or switching between programs etc.

Just my two cents :)