How to identify a genuine white iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pjstock42, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Pjstock42 macrumors regular

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times, but I'm just wondering what I can look for to identify a genuine white iphone 4?

I'm looking to buy one on eBay but I dont want to buy one thats just been converted to white with aftermarket parts.

Thank you for any help.

2. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

For some odd reason I don't think Apple made any....

3. iVoid macrumors 65816

Apple NEVER sold any white iPhone 4s. They only had test units made and never got the process right.

So any white iPhone 4s out there is a aftermarket mod. Either using white parts that 'left' the factory somehow or aftermarket coloring services (colorware).

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There are three white parts. The glass front with home button, glass back, and headphone jack. If you have all three then you most likely have a real white iPhone.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Simple: If it's white and it's for sale, then it's not real.

Very few "real" white iPhone 4s have been seen, and only in the hands of Apple staff, early on. They were most likely prototypes used for production verification, and given their rarity, one of them suddenly showing up on ebay would likely land their former owners in trouble pretty easily.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Ask the guy if he got from the 17 year old that has made $130,000 selling them? :cool:

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

There are no real ones. All the ones you see are simply converted using 3rd party white parts.

8. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Without physical access to the phone I doubt you could. The price would also be like 5-10 times that of a black iPhone I would have thought.
    Like others have said, Apple never sold them so the only ones genuine in existence are with Apple employees.

You're better off doing the conversion or buying a converted one, what difference does it make if its genuine really? Only thing I can think of is if you break it you have no warranty. Thats the price you pay for altering hardware.

Good luck.

9. sirslaysalot macrumors member

easiest way is probably to look at the product label on the box for the color. but you're probably not gonna find any of those floating around since the prior owners can be easily identified.

10. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

dont forget the white dock connector ;)

im also interested in the replies in this thread - how do you all know Apple never made any white iPhone's, do you have a source for this?

I believe Apple made MANY white iPhone's, however realised issues after they were produced, therefore they never went on sale.

11. synagence macrumors 6502a

Look back at some footage from an Apple employee-only campus event .... LOTS of white iPhones there... Stephen Fry has one, Walt Mosberg has one.

They're out there in very small numbers but the chances of buying a genuine white model on ebay thats not just a conversion job is exceedingly small.

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

You can identify one if its attached to a celebrity/rich person. Otherwise its probably a mod.

13. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If you see one...it isn't genuine.

14. ADMProducer macrumors regular

Plug it in to iTunes, if the picture of the iPhone is white then I would imagine it's genuine however, highly unlikely.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

In a related question, how do I identify a genuine unicorn? My sister stuck a horn on a horse's head, and it looks real, but I'm not sure I'm convinced.

16. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Unless the seller is Stephen Fry i suggest you give it a wide berth :p

17. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Grill it up, if it tastes magical, you had a genuine unicorn.

18. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Unless an Apple employee or a reviewer like Walt Mossberg puts theirs up for sale, the chance of getting a real white iPhone is rare

and xfd is PJstock literally posting on Macrumors?

19. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

The differences are..

White/Grey Headphone port
    White Dock Connector
    Chrome Headphone Jack Ring.

Obviously, front and back glass colour, with the white front showing the Proximity sensor more.