How to imort photos into iphoto 08 without it becomming an event?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kristoffer4, Feb 26, 2008.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Eveytime I add a picture to iPhoto it becomes an event. Most of the time I just want to add a photo to a existing event. This means that every time I have to combine the new photos to and event after importing them......hmm. Anybody know if and how you do this?

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Just keep doing what you are doing. Import and then drag to the existing event.

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yep, that's the only way that I know to do it too. It's not that big of a deal really...

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

iPhoto'08 is Event based, it was the signifigant update they added.

Unfortunately that's how it works, every upload/import will be an event, you can "Split" after upload. Even if you try to trick it by naming an event the same as an existing event, it still counts as a different event based on the date.

I actually prefer it this way as it makes organization much much easier. Rather than uploading a bunch of 'unsorted' images into a lobby, they're organized. It's not much effort to move them around afterwards, at least to me anyway.

As the above poster said, keep doing it and drag and drop by either merging the events via events view or dragging and dropping in photo view.

5. avatars macrumors newbie

I am still running iLife '05, and iPhoto is running quite slowly. I have ~1,200 photos, 2.7GB. My thought has been that the problem is due to having 512MB RAM in my G4, but was recently advised that the '05 version of iPhoto was slow in an of itself, and to upgrade to '06. I have looked at going straight to '08, but have read user reviews stating '08 is less usable than '06, and that all prior albums are deleted, leaving a bunch of disorganized photos. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks. :confused:

6. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I can safely say from experience that updating to '08 does NOT destroy your organization. I upgraded and all my albums were still there, each "roll" became and "event" and all was well. Very much worth the upgrade. I'm sure there are some who have had problems, but they are few and far between. Usually the only ones who have problems are the ones who have some other underlying problem (hacked machine, not enough RAM, unfinished install, etc.). So go for it -- you'll be glad you did!

7. rjg001 macrumors member

One thing that really unnerves me - and for no good reason - is I wish they switched "Events" and "Albums." Its confusing to newbie until you get used to it - it took me a long time to figure out just because it didn't seem to make sense that all pics necessarily be part of an "Event." Sometimes I take pictures just for the sake of taking pictures and not associated with any event, i.e. a wedding or a vacation. I wish "Album" was the default and you could make "Events" as you wish or need. It makes more sense to me to have an Album named "car pictures" or "dog pictures" or "HDR pictures" than to have an Event with that name.

/whining

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I do the same thing. I just create an event called "Home Projects" where I store pictures of wood projects I've worked on, another event called "Our Pictures" where I store pictures that don't really fit any other category other than they are of my wife and I.

Event = Album, they are essentially the same thing, it's just a play on words.

When it imports from camera, they all pretty much fall into a "Unsorted" category or event. From there you can move the files around into their proper album or event.

It's the same concept, just different words.