How to Implement a Service Payment System

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by callmemike20, Sep 27, 2011.

1. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

So,

I am trying to sell a service through a website. When the customer enters the order page, they will be required to provide specific information needed to provide the service. Then, they will be directed to PayPal in order to process the payment (the only free 3rd party payment system I could find). After that, I need them to be redirected to a confirmation page or have a confirmation email sent to them.

What would be the best way to set this up?

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Paypal, Amazon Payment and Google Checkout already have guides on how to implement their system in this fashion. Check the docs and ask about which points you get stuck on if any.

3. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I can't find the documentation for this at all. For paypal, I can only find documentation related to the actual purchase page (where you enter billing information). I can't find any documentation on how to receive specific information to the customer before they give me their CC info (color of product, etc.).

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Speaking as a customer, not a developer, usually information such as size, colour etc. is captured before handing off to PayPal.

5. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Right. That's why I'm asking the original question. Here's an example of what I'm trying to do:

Lawn Mowing Service

1) Customer enters:
    -Name
    -Address
    -Written description of landscaping
    -Write the description of house

2) Customers hits submit and is directed to the paypal page to process payment.

3) Customer receives confirmation.

I

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Apparently I can't read, because you did indeed say it clearly :)

7. designguy79 macrumors 6502

You will need to get familiar with PayPal's button API and "Instant Payment Notification" (IPN) setup.

https://merchant.paypal.com/us/cgi-...nt_ID=developer/e_howto_api_ButtonMgrAPIIntro

https://www.paypal.com/ipn

I am sure there are scripts you could purchase, or a service to subscribe to, that handle the "heavy lifting" if you are not familiar with web technologies and programming. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any one in particular to give you a solid recommendation.

Hopefully that is enough info to get you headed in the right direction!

8. wpotere Guest

Also, please make sure you are doing this via SSL. Your customers will thank you.

The links above should provide you with the information you need.