How to import an iMovie project into FCE?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by netdog, Jul 30, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

If you are wanting to import into FCE preserving the sperate clips, transitions, etc this is not possible, AFAIK.

If you want to have the rendered version of your imovie project imported into FCE, simply Export it as quicktime -> expert settings, then select "movie to DV Stream" and click on options. Set the Audio to 48 kHz, apsect ratio 4:3, video format to interlaced NTSC or whatever is appropriate for your environment.

Be prepared for a very large file depending on how long your project is. ( 12.6 GB per hour of video )

If I recall, you'll still have to render your audio once you bring it in to FCE, a bad side effect of bringing in video from iMovie.

3. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Can't you just open FCE and choose Open Projects or something like that from the menu? I can't remember the exact item from the menu but it's very simple. Now once it's open in FCE, not sure if everything (music, transitions, effects) comes over too. I did it once and I want to say everything did...but don't quote me.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well thats what I did with my iMovie projects when I first got Final Cut Pro, I can't imagine it being much different in Final Cut Express.

5. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Did you find it easier to work on your movie projects doing it that way? Edit in iMovie, then open in FC, then some advanced editing? I did it once just to see if it would work, but haven't tried since. I may start doing it that way again. Thanks...

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No I just opened my iMovie projects in Final Cut Pro to save in FCP format so that everything was in that format and nice and easy to work from. I ditched iMovie pretty much straight after getting Final Cut Studio.