How to improve battery life (tips/advices)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bubulol, Aug 30, 2016.

1. bubulol macrumors 6502

Hello, i noticed battery life of my iphone SE isnt that good
    I lost nearly 5/6% per night
    i would know if you have any advice in order to improve/stop the drain of battery
    thanks

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

^^^^THIS^^^^^

Plugging it in while sleeping seems like a great idea to me.

4. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Disable some location services ( just what you don't need)
    Disable backround app refresh if you don't need it
    Turn off wi-fi.

5. C DM, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

Here's what Apple has to say on the subject:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Here's what some former Apple (store) employees have to say:

http://solutionowl.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-iphone-ipad-and-ios-battery-drain/

http://www.payetteforward.com/why-does-my-iphone-battery-die-so-fast-heres-the-real-fix/

6. 96-HUDSON-96 Suspended

96-HUDSON-96

turn it off

7. itsray macrumors 6502

the SE gets great battery life.

but.

location services off unless you need it
    instead of push go to fetch and pick one of the options
    reduce motion so theres no animations
    background app refresh
    limit notifications
    turn off auto brightness and keep it low unless you need it brighter (i.e. outside)
    close out applications that are in the background if you're not using them (you don't really have to do it, but it works for me since i only use an app and i might not use it again till hours later)

if you do all that you should see a difference.

8. 96-HUDSON-96 Suspended

96-HUDSON-96

Gosh that's way too much effort

9. itsray macrumors 6502

its mostly how i set up my phones, other than i got tired of turning location services on and off all the time
    and i don't like the animation of zooming in and out when you launch an app or press the home button.
    other than that i don't use background app refresh and i always have the screen pretty low unless I'm in the sun and i limit notifications for what i need/want.

10. bubulol thread starter macrumors 6502

Location -> off
    Notif -> limited
    Background app refresh -> off
    Auto-brightness, it work fine for me
    i dont kill apps since i know it from Android as well

I am not really a novice but i dont understand why it still drains battery phone out during the night
    I dont want to plug phone into the charger, i never did for all my phone including both iPhone and Android phones
    I dont want to turn it off either
    The only things which i may have some doubts
    Push mails, its on but all settings are set on manually
    iCloud?
    My guess, it could have drain battery out
    I have mail in the background although i am only using Gmail wtf?!
    How to disable for good apple mail app?
    Note i have disabled it from settings though

thanks

11. LenaY macrumors newbie

You can turn on Airplane Mode or Low Power Mode to have try.

12. bubulol thread starter macrumors 6502

why would i do that?
    all these tips work for any smartphone, i picked iPhone SE for good battery life, i think battery is still good except for the drain at idle
    I ve seen some users claiming they nearly lost 1/2% per night with default settings

13. Eric Ben macrumors newbie

If I keep my mobile onto airplane mode this way I can save my battery life?

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You should not have to turn anything off. The SE has great battery life. Just charge it once a day and forget about the battery percentages, turn it off if you can't stand to stare at it.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Personally, I turn off location services except for the apps that have an obvious reason for needing them, eg. Google Maps, and even for those I have it set for only when the app is in use. I have background app refresh off. Most push notifications off, and auto brightness on. With these settings, I usually only have to recharge my iPhone 6 once every 2 days or so. Only on my heaviest use days have I managed to get it down to 20% in a 24 hour period.

One thing that I've found makes a huge difference is the cellular signal strength available. At home, where I have a strong signal, the battery may lose 1% overnight. At work, with my phone at my desk not being used for the same period of time, it can lose 10-15% just because it's struggling to compensate for a weak signal.

16. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

Does the Usage Time in battery settings include the background process or just the Screen On time? I'm surprised that after 12hours since last fully charged, I've got 70% battery remaining. It shows my usage time as about 3.5hours. Either my iPhone 7 needs calibration or it's it's just phenomenal battery life. It wasn't like that before and only yesterday I've seen this kind of improvement without making any changes.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Why not put it on the charger at night and not worry about it?

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Usage is any usage, be it with screen on or off (with the interaction of a user or not). What kind of a device are we talking about?

19. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

Is there a way to get only the screen time? Or do I need a 3rd party app for that? As mentioned it's an iPhone 7.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Somehow overlooked that iPhone 7 mention in the post earlier. That's fairly good usage time (and standby time) for an iPhone 7 with 70% battery remaining.

You can see the screen time of different apps over a 24 hour period in the battery usage section for different apps, but that might not necessarily coincide with the last time you recharged your battery fully.

21. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

I would love to know the exact screen time for the app after a full recharge. I came from Android so I am use to seeing the graph and the screen on time since last recharge.

22. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Check your settings to see which app draining your batter the most.
    If you have Facebook app, uninstall it. It is a horribly written app that I'm surprised Apple is not pulling it from the app store as it is behaving like a malware in using up background data and battery.
    Try also disabling Safari sync in iCloud setting. I found this to be an issue on my 6S. Not sure if it's fixed on the latest iOS yet as I left mine off.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's only the 24 hour or basically 7 day versions that can be seen from battery usage area in the settings. Short of checking it 24 hours after you charged last or making note of where it was for an app before you took the device off the charger and using that as an offset to compare later, there's not that much else that could be done as far as stock iOS goes.

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The best thing to do is turn off background app refresh and take a few days to analyze which apps are using an exorbitant amount of battery. Under the battery menu, the culprit is usually obvious if there is one.