How to improve MBP battery perfomance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paparazzzo, Oct 28, 2011.

1. paparazzzo macrumors newbie

As the topic title says... My MBP is just 21 weeks old and it has 111 battery loadcycles with 96% battery capacity (see the attachment). I have calibrated the battery three times so far, but I'm still not sure weather I should keep the MBP on the power outlet all the time, or use the battery and let it drain down every time.

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

wether ≠ weather

3. mwells65 macrumors newbie

4. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

111 cycles in 21 weeks? Jeesh, what have you been doing? Mine had ~170 in just over 2 years.

5. paparazzzo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's what I'm trying to figure out!?! I do use it at least 12 hours a day, but it's still too much, isn't it?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your usage is fine. Be sure to read the Battery FAQ that simsaladimbamba posted. It really will answer your questions.

7. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

My 13" Pro is just a few days over 1 year old and shows 66 charge cycles. I normally run it on battery when the cable is either inconvenient or when I only plan to have it on a few minutes and on the charger when I plan to have it on for any length of time. And every ~month run it on battery until it complains and shuts down on its own.

8. simsaladimbamba

I knew it. Thanks for the laugh. ;)

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

My early 2008 macbook pro:

Battery-Loadcycles: 176
    Age of your Mac: 42 Month
    Current Battery Capacity: 78%

I use it every day, but most of the time I move from one charger to the next. About once a week I run off batteries for a longer time, e.g. when I work in a cafe. I don't calibrate my battery (costs too much time), nor do I perform any other procedures that are supposed to improve battery life. I'm quite happy how it keeps working through the years.

I guess 111 load cycles is reasonable if you run from full to discharged every day. Since the batteries are supposed to work through 1000+ cycles, I don't think it will be a problem. But I also don't think it helps improving the battery if you drain it unnecessarily.

10. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Is it necessarily bad if I am at 105 load cycles in 19 weeks? I generally use my laptop off its battery power every day.

Attached Files:

11. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

Werther's > whether + wether + weather

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I would not limit my use of the macbook by what might be good or bad for the battery. The current batteries are designed to go through 1000 load cycles without loosing too much capacity (see the FAQ linked above). So, worst case is that in 3-4 years you have worn down the battery and might need to replace it, although 80% of the original capacity is still perfectly portable.

13. paparazzzo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that is the explanation I was looking for. I did unnecessarily unplugged my MBP as soon as the battery showed 100% full. That is the main reason why MBP has 111 loadcycles. However, thanks to your explanation I will have it plugged all the time and drain it once a week, from now on.

Thank you!

14. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I'm at 112 in 25 weeks... it all depends on what you use it for. I use it almost constantly, and didn't keep it plugged in all the time when i first started using it...

15. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Makes sense. Thank you!

16. SurferMan macrumors 65816

My MBP says 167 battery cycles in 29 months. No idea how you guys have so many cycles in a matter of a few weeks, are you running on battery and charging multiple times daily?

17. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I am a student so I am constantly using my laptop during class and throughout the day moving from different buildings and such. A lost of my assignments are actually on the computer (mainly on the internet via an online homework thing provided by the University) and MATLAB programming, so I'll often charge my laptop every night, then take notes on it the next day and do homework on it. With that being said, I don't use my charger unless I get close to running out of battery.

18. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

My trusty old whitebook has had a good 56 months... 384 charge cycles.

Current capacity: 4640mAh
    Design capacity: 5020 mAh
    ||||||||||||||||||||92%|||||||||||| |

Hmm... :)

Calibrated once a year around Christmas.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course, if you don't calibrate more frequently than that, you have no idea how accurate that reading is.

20. MrBullet macrumors member

sorry to sound like the noob but how do you calibrate your battery?

21. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Apple Portables: Battery Calibration

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read the Battery FAQ in the 2nd post of this thread, all your battery questions should be answered. Newer MBPs with built-in batteries come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration. That Battery FAQ was also posted in the other thread you started on batteries. I highly recommend you read it.

23. Jrv macrumors regular

90 cycles, had it since late August.

I use it every day, and when I'm not using it, someone else in my house is using it.