How to improve my white MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fahad850, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Fahad850 macrumors newbie

Hii

It's getting slow, such as when i open new programme or shouting down the system is taking long time to open and some times i can't do anything else until the programme is opened.

also that happened with using the browsing the internet.

So, if you don't mind to help with this problem.

I'm a new user for mac (over 7 months) and i realised this problem just 3 weeks ago.

Thank you for your help

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Just make sure you clean up your system. I use IceClean to clean mine. Just install it and run through the motions. It should speed up your system if it's getting sluggish

3. celticpride678

Run some system maintenance tasks:

Download Onyx (free app)

4. brandon.8602, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

brandon.8602 macrumors member

Upgrade RAM
    Clear cache files
    (it may seem obvious but) Empty Trash more often
    Clear out unneeded files
    If you're seeing it go excessively slow once in awhile, restart as you may be overloading your motherboard with so many tasks

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Which MacBook do you have? Processor, RAM, and HDD specs. How many applications do you typically run at once (which icons in the Dock usually have a blue circle or black triangle under them)?

"Clean your system" is really vague advice. On Macs there is a specific reason why the system will run slower than it should.

6. Fahad850 thread starter macrumors newbie

Blondie :), celticpride678, brandon.8602 and iThinkergoiMac
    Thank you all for your replies

I agree with iThinkergoiMac, I think the problem isn't cleaning or making more space. I just use it for surfing the internet or write by using MS.

I forgot to tell you, some times I can hear the fan voice especially when I leave it opened for one day

the specifications are:

Mac OS X
    version 10.6.5

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

I hope this information can help to get my MacBook to the previous excellent performance.

thank you for your help

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I assume you have the stock setup? 5400 rpm HDD and 2 GB RAM? How much HDD space do you have left? In Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) how many Page Outs does it say you have? Also, open up the Terminal (same directory) and type

Code:
    uptime
    How long does it say your computer has been running for? Also, as I asked before, how many applications do you normally have running at once, and how long do you normally leave your browser open for?

Download OnyX and run all the things pre-checked under "Automation", then restart. That should help.

For hardware, the two best upgrades you could do would be to upgrade your RAM to 4 GB (your computer can go as high as 8 GB) and popping in a 7200 rpm HDD (or an SSD if you don't need a lot of space). But report back on all my questions first and we should be able to locate the problem.

8. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Ok, there's one thing you should probably look at. Open your activity monitor, and on the top of the application where it says "my processes" open the drop down menu and select "all processes" and then click "CPU" in the lower left of the app. See if there are any ridiculous percentages in a process that's running. The reason I'm saying that is because there was a post I just barely looked at that had the same issue. The process was called "kernel_mask" or something similar to that