How to improve Powerbook performance

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by martin.pretty, Jul 7, 2013.

1. martin.pretty macrumors newbie

I have just acquired a Powerbook G4 - model A1046

I am looking for any ways to improve the performance of it.

The RAM is already maxed at 2GB.

Thinking of a HDD change as I hear this can help. But not sure what sort of drive I need . System profiler seems to suggest its an ATA drive but I can't really find these for sale anywhere.

Also it seems to get very hot underneath. Is there anything I should check or can do to help?

Thanks

2. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

3. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

4. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

If you upgrade the hard drive (PATA), you are pretty much there in terms of hardware performance. Software comes next:

Monolingual
    XSlimmer
    Turning off dashboard/spotlight if you don't use them

Web browsing:
    choosing an optimized browser such as Leopard Webkit, Aurorafox, Tenfourfox, Camino, Roccat
    Removing Flash if you don't need it
    Installing Glimmerblocker
    eyoungren has a thread with some optimizations for his web browsing, I'll try to find it.

5. theclassicmac macrumors newbie

For replacement HD's, the 7200RPM ATA drives are becoming harder to come by. I would check out OWC, they have WD Scorpio drives for 150 for a 250GB 5400RPM or 180 for a 320GB 5400RPM ATA Drive (pricey, but getting harder to find):

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Se...ve&Ntk=Primary&Ns=P_Price|0&N=6885+4294967075

They also make Legacy Pro ATA SSD's, which depending on how much space you need, might be a better option for the money (I got one of these for my '05 PB G4 12, and love it):

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Legacy_Pro

6. theclassicmac macrumors newbie

7. TSAE macrumors newbie

xslimmer
    disable spotlight and dashboard
    mac secrets
    aticcelerator
    webkit
    you can overclock them (google macxtreme) since posting links is illegal
    you can also turn the resolution down

I don't think investing in a new hard drive is worth the money , since it will probably be as much or half of what you paid for your ppc mac. Also you can clean out the dust if any in the fans by either taking it apart or pressing some key combination I can't remember when booting to make the fans run at 100% for a short time.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just a note about G4 fan control. I have two 17" PowerBooks G4s and I have NEVER managed to get this app to work on those Macs. It's either been blank when loaded, unresponsive, or took input but did not change anything.

Also note that the developer is non-responsive and does not answer questions on his site.

Not trying to trash the program - it works very well for those it works for. Just mentioning my experience is all.

9. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

Probably the best thing you can do it put a PATA SSD in there. That's going to be expensive, though, as in more than the entire PowerBook is worth... so bear that in mind.

I put a 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro in my 1 GHz TiBook because it's worth it to me since I use that PowerBook for writing. No fans and no HDD spinning = absolutely dead silent. It definitely sped a lot of things up significantly, even on that old as heck PATA interface.