how to improve signal (this may be old news)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leftyno9, Aug 19, 2010.

1. leftyno9 macrumors regular

hi guys. i get alot of dropped calls in my house probably around half my calls. for some reason i only get 1, 2 bars max and sometimes have no service what so ever even though i live in the centre of a big city where i have full bars a soon as i walk out the house.

anyway i have found that turning off 3G gives me full bars and connects me to more cell towers. maybe this is just the case in the uk but its obvious that not all cell towers are producing a 3G signal hence why i get more signal with 3G turned off. ive included a screen shot of the signal app by planetbeing so you can see the difference in having 3G on and off.

so now everytime i get home from work a simple swipe to bring up SBsettings to turn off 3G gives me full signal and no more dropped calls :) then every time i leave the house i just turn it back on

so for all people that have problems getting signal at home or at work try turning off 3G as i said before this may only be the case in the UK but its worth a try.

with 3g on:
    [​IMG]

with 3g off:
    [​IMG]

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Or you could try holding it differently. Or getting a case. Or getting an iPhone 3GS or (insert joke here)

All kidding aside - I agree - going to Edge has often been a better option both from a battery standpoint and also phone call signal strength.

3. max-power macrumors member

4. leftyno9 thread starter macrumors regular

its an app by planetbeing. get it from cydia for $4.99

5. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

WTF is it called??

6. leftyno9 thread starter macrumors regular

lol sorry its called signal

7. leftyno9 thread starter macrumors regular

i like your blog man. just had a little read :)

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Because people want to deal with the ridiculously slow speeds of GPRS, of course in the US we have Enhanced GPRS more than the euros but still hardly a solution IMO. Interesting app though, it makes sense since they had GSM installed before 3G and GPRS is usually on a lower frequency (900mhz in rural, 1800 in urban and then 3G is still massively on 2100mhz, that's all for Europe at least). Lower frequencies penetrate buildings better FYI.

9. leftyno9 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the info man.

the slow speeds dont really bother me as i'm connected to my wifi when i'm at home. as soon as i leave the house the 3G goes back on and i get full signal. just glad i'm not getting dropped calls in my house anymore :D