How To Increase Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NyYaNkEeFaN95, Aug 1, 2011.

1. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Hey, I know there are multiple threads about battery life, but i havent seen one that is dedicated to ways of increasing battery life.

Turned off Traffic (Only For IOS 5)
    Settings > Location Services > System Services > Traffic (Off)

Turned off Ping
    Settings > General > Restrictions > Ping (Off)

2. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

There is also the option i went with, :

Buy a phone with a user replacable battery, and user purchasable high capacity battery options and that was desgined to last a day without needing to be teathered to a charging point

3. NyYaNkEeFaN95 thread starter macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Um i am talking about the iPhone...

4. jonrando macrumors 6502a

lol.

5. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

So was I, I got so sick of the battery running flat around 4pm (when im still at least 3 hours from getting home and being able to charge it) that i dropped the iPhone for a phone with battery life.

I now have an iPad for my iOS apps and a phone i can actually carry with me from 6:30am when i get up to 11pm when i go to bed without worrying about having to be saving every little bit of power.

A mobile phones battery should in my opinion last at least 24hrs with a few hours calls and an hour web browsing as a minium. The apple quoted figures for battery life with standby and usage are just plain lies (much like the signal strength icon).

Bin the iPhone, get an android phone and an iPad.

6. NyYaNkEeFaN95 thread starter macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

From my experience android battery life is even worse

7. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

Android battery, unless your phone has over a 1650mah battery, isn't better. That is slowly changing with dual cores and betters system resource management but guys, these phones do EVERYTHING. Tey are capable of things that computers couldn't even do this good 6 years ago. Chew on that....

8. NyYaNkEeFaN95 thread starter macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

iPhone is better than droid no matter what

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

David Pogue posted a column about this... http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/23/four-ways-to-make-your-battery-last-longer/

It pained me to do it, but with six e-mail accounts, the effect of his first suggestion (turning off not only push e-mail but also automatic 15 minute checking of e-mail, and going manual only) was stunning. Whereas my 3GS battery had been at 20% around 8:30, it's at 70% or more then if I don't use it much, and it's at a good 40-50% even if I use it heavily.

10. NyYaNkEeFaN95 thread starter macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

I just turned off everything in iCloud. Let's see how much battery I save.

11. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Oh boy. I'm going to try this and see how I fare. Granted, my battery life is already fairly substantial, but I'm curious about the difference.

OP, screen brightness. Auto brightness is wonderful, or simply turn it down as low as you can tolerate.

13. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Yes, you can do all that stuff to save battery, but I've always been under the belief that there is no point to owning an iphone (or any smartphone) for that matter if you aren't going to use it's capabilities.

Why not just get any old dumb phone if you aren't going to use any of the benefits of a smart phone?

Even with everything turned on I still easily get a days worth of usage, and if I'm within range of wifi for most of the day then I can easily get 2 days.

14. NyYaNkEeFaN95 thread starter macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

I turned off my whole iCloud account and my battery drained at the same rate if not faster. Does anyone know if iPhone replacements come with new batteries?