how to increase resolution to 5K on iMac retina

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maroulis, Nov 2, 2014.

1. maroulis macrumors member

Same story at the apple store, max resolution I saw on settings was 3200 x 1800, I was under impression it can scale up to 5120 x 2880..Am I blind? LOL

2. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Option click "scaled" in the display prefs panel. You'll get the familiar list, and 5120 is an option.

However, you probably won't keep it set that way. ;)

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Hold down the option key while clicking "scaled".

Post #2 did say, but sometimes "option click" isn't as obvious as it could be.

4. maroulis thread starter macrumors member

you are the man!!! :) thank you!

5. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Not being picky, but for my own future reference: How is "option click" any different from "hold down the option key while clicking"?

6. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Because it's only a recognisable term to a regular Mac user who's used to the fact that OS X has most of its features hidden behind keyboard shortcuts you have to discover. Who would probably already have tried it, or looked it up.

The term just wouldn't register to a new or recently converted user.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Semantics.

8. dandrewk macrumors 6502

The OP has been a member of this forum since 2006.

Besides, a "converted" user would be used to terms like "shift click" or "ctrl click". Or perhaps "should" be used to it. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation, but then that's just me.

9. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I've been a member here since 2009 but only for the iPhone and iPad.
    Today I will take possession of a new iMac retina coming from a long time PC user and I have never used Control Click or Alt Click on a PC for hardly anything. I'm a dedicated mouse clicker.

So these "hidden OS X features" that require modifier keys will be all new to me.

Is there a list somewhere that shows what these additional hidden tricks are?
    TIA

10. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Indeed, but my point was that if you came across a term like "control click", you would know what to do. You wouldn't need it to say "hold down the control button while clicking".

To answer your question though, there are many, many applications that have such "hidden" features, but most are uncovered in the documentation. For OS X there are many as well, but I know of no list that shows them all. Most are listed with the specific OS X feature, such as the prefs panel.

In general, with Max OS X (same as Windows), it's always a good idea to try modifier key combos if something seems missing, -especially- when an "update" appears to take away functionality that had existed before.

11. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I love the discussion of how option click isn't the same as control click :D

12. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Reading the first five posts of this thread clearly shows what the difference is. A message starting "Option click scaled" is not the same as a message that says "hold down the Option button while clicking on Scaled". In the second example, the brain has sufficient time in the sentence to realise that an unusual action is required. Hence the OP was immediately clear on the solution.

It's the difference between technically correct but overly concise English, and clearly written English designed to ensure the reader gets what's being said. If only technical manual authors would understand this...

13. dandrewk macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:

I give up.

I can see why some posters in this thread have high post counts.

Apologies if I assumed the most basic working knowledge of operating systems and english language. How awful to be "concise". What next, a lengthy discussion on exactly where the "control" "shift" "option" keys are located on a keyboard? What, it doesn't work? Is the machine plugged in?

<end of discussion> in this thread. Please continue in the thread labeled "pedantic, superfluous observations".