How to increase volume of a low quality recording

StrapedStan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I make memos and recordings at my office and have realized that the sound on some of these is extremly low, i mean really really low, I know that if I could just increase the volume I could distinguish what is said. Is there any way to do this for personally made recordings? My recorder records in 3gp, I need something that will increase the volume of that.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I'm not sure if iTunes will open a 3GP, so use a converter to convert it to an MP3 and then right click on the MP3 in iTunes and go to the Information or Properties (I forget what it's called) and change the volume there.

StrapedStan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I have tried this but itunes doesnt increase the volume, I need another software that will. Itunes doesnt increase it, in only makes it so that when its transferred to the ipod it will play at full volume.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Throw it in GarageBand (once converted to mp3) and increase the volume from there. Then you can export the new mp3 track with the new volume settings.

StrapedStan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I dont have a mac, all I have is windows. I cant seem to get amplify to work in Audacity and havent been able to convert to mp3 with anything. Please help.

StrapedStan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
You should take into account that I have a iphone, ipod touch and am looking into an ipad. Just because I dont have a mac computer doesn't mean I cant find help for my mac products on a mac forum.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
We don't work for Apple Support. Just because you own an Apple product doesn't mean you're guaranteed to find an answer even if your question has nothing to do with said product. You're welcome to ask, but you will probably find more knowledgeable respondents elsewhere.

forcefieldkid

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2010
You should take into account that I have a iphone, ipod touch and am looking into an ipad. Just because I dont have a mac computer doesn't mean I cant find help for my mac products on a mac forum.
You're right, but those products have nothing to do with your question.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
I dont have a mac, all I have is windows. I cant seem to get amplify to work in Audacity
Open file, select all, amplify. If that's not working for you then something is wrong. If you install the LAME MP3 encoder you can encode directly to MP3 from Audacity (though I have no idea how the installation works on Windows, some things you have to google yourself).