how to indent single lines??

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by yojitani, Apr 23, 2007.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Maybe it's late and there's something really basic I'm forgetting, but how do you indent single lines - NOT first lines - of text without using  

To explain, I'm doing webwork for a literary magazine and I'm having a hell of a time formatting poetry that has 'unusual' indents. the indented lines can't break with proceeding lines so something like <p style="text-indent" > won't work of course because the <p> creates unwanted space..

I'm using dreamweaver 8 - though I tend to do about 70 of the work in code. Any tips on how to do this would be most appreciated!!

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

I'm not sure if I get your question, but perhaps you can try wrapping around tag such as <span style="text-indent">?

3. Trogloxene macrumors regular

Yea, I think Dreamweaver indents by paragraphs, not by lines. One solution is to make a table with two rows. Indent one row and not the other.

-T

4. justG macrumors member

justG

So make it not create unwanted space, that's why we have CSS. You can remove the unwanted space by creating a style block that specifies 0 margin/padding. Creating a table is never an option to solve a layout issue if you're at all concerned with semantic code (sorry, Trogloxene, but it's just not).
    Code:
    span.indent {
      padding-left: .2em;
    }

<p>
      Little Miss Muffet<br />
      <span class="indent">sat on a tuffet</span><br />
    </p>

5. nicksoper macrumors member

nicksoper

<ul>

Do you not want to be using a <ul> indented text </ul> ?

You could even make different indented styles in the style sheet:

<ul class="poem1">indented text</ul>

You can set the default indent with a ul{padding-left:10px;} and you can then add more styles as you wish.

Kinda wierd question, not sure if this is the right answer.

6. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

doh! yes, that's what I was thinking of! Thanks!! and thanks the rest of you too (though Trogloxene, listen to JustG)

(need more sleep!)