Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I don't like iTunes method of ripping. It does not appear that I have any options such as bit rate. :mad:

I just want to rip my CD music to mp3 format and store it in my "Music" folder in my Home location. I want to choose the bit rate before ripping.

Then, I will decide it I want iTunes to import a given tune.

Do I need to purchase a 3rd party application to do the job, independent of iTunes? Can someone recommend such an application?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
You do have bitrate options in iTunes. You'll find the setting under the importing tab on the advanced page of iTunes prefs.

However, if you want to use something else, you could try Max (freeware) which has a ton of options and also supports the LAME library (improved MP3 ripping).

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
You do have bitrate options in iTunes. You'll find the setting under the importing tab on the advanced page of iTunes prefs.

However, if you want to use something else, you could try Max (freeware) which has a ton of options and also supports the LAME library (improved MP3 ripping).

Thank you for the information. I am fairly new to the Mac and to mp3 encoding, so I am still struggling. The "Max" program looks pretty comprehensive, but somewhat intimidating for a newbie.

On a related subject, I did note that iTunes encodes in the "m4a" format and not mp3. Does anyone know if this Apple format is something that non-iPod players will play, or is this strictly an Apple thing?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
m4a is mainly for AAC format, which is not strictly Apple. It is another standard, but it is not as widely used as MP3's. However, it gives you higher quality than MP3. You can still specify MP3 from Preferences->Advanced->Importing as well.

If you don't mind bigger file size, you can also use Apple Lossless for best quality. This pretty much only plays on iPods and iTunes. However, you can always convert them to another format without losses due to double encoding, as Apple Lossless has, well, lossless compression.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
As note iTunes will encode MP3 at all rates, AAC (MP4) , lossless and uncompressed.

Set your import to whatever codec you wish and you can rip to that format. You can also convert existing formats to any other by selecting the songs and using the "convert to..." command which then converts to whichever codec and rate is currently selected by the importer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.