How to insert Flash video into iMovie?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boxybrown13, Sep 25, 2008.

1. boxybrown13 macrumors newbie

I'm using iMovie 06 and I need to get a flash animation into it, so can anyone please tell me how to make these files compatible so that my animation can appear in my iMovie project?

2. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Is your animation in Flash video (.flv) or Shockwave Flash (.swf) format? If it's .flv, it should just be a matter of installing the Perian QuickTime component; after doing that you should just be able to drag-and-drop your video into iMovie and it'll convert it to DV for editing. I don't believe there's a way to import .swf files natively... perhaps there is an Export function in Flash that lets you push the animation out as a QuickTime movie?

3. tulin77 macrumors newbie

importing .flv into imovie '08

you said "after doing that you should just be able to drag-and-drop your video into iMovie..."

I cannot seem to do this. I installed perian and can open a .flv movie in quick time but don't have quicktime pro.

But it doesn't change the file, it just plays it.

help??

4. Roiphe macrumors newbie

Roiphe

Use Quicktime instead

I have also had a lot of trouble trying to import movies into imovie 11, until I found that .flv files can easily be converted into .mov and .m4v with Quicktime.
    Instal Perion and then open the .flv in Quicktime. Next, save the file with Save for Web. Once it is converted, right-click Open in Downloads. Go to Downloads and drag the file or folder to desktop. Open the folder and you'll find your movie clip automatically saved in formats readable by imovie. You can them import it into imovie.