Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeMacPL

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Lately I'm having problems with my new 24inch iMac 2009. I'm still under the 14 day return policy and 1 year warranty. Tomorrow I'm going to a US Apple Retail Store and I want Apple to exchange this defect iMac for a New iMac not to repair the defect iMac. So what do I have to do or say to insist an exchange for a New iMac?

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm not sure if this will work but just say you need it for a very important project due very soon and that you expect higher quality from something you just dropped almost 2 grand for

genmic

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
I wouldn't lie. Just say you don't want it repaired since it's a new machine. If they give you any problems, which they shouldn't, just say you aren't happy with the way they are handling your problem and you are going to call Applecare.

What issues are you having? If it's something like a scratch they may give you a slight hesitation but Apple is very lenient regarding exchanges.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
How many more threads do we need about this? Seriously?

Simply take it back, show them the problem and indicate it's absolutely unacceptable in such an expensive machine, and they will replace it as it's still brand new.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Technically they're not obligated to give you an exchange unless it's a DOA. If the problem has existed from the beginning and you can get them to declare it a DOA, then that's a surefire way to get an exchange.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If you're under 14 days of returning time you can always change it. If you live in states remeber that there's restocking fee. I've changed my iMac two times because of bad screen

MikeMacPL

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
I finally came back from the US Apple Store at the mall. Everyone at the mall was looking at me carring this big white iMac box and I got into the Apple Store. The first thing I told the Apple Genius(which I made an appoinment yesterday night) was I wanted to exchange my defect iMac. The Apple Genius asked me the problems and I said that evey 30minutes there is a popping sound and Bluetooth keyboard/mouse keeps losing connection. He started my iMac, did a stress test, and then left into the backroom. He came out with a new 24inch iMac. I was soooo happy. He then without shutting down my defect iMac pulled out the powercord and he said "Never unplug the powercord like this laughling". I said to myself now that iMac is more defect. I filled out the paper work and took home a brand new iMac. I love Apple!!:D Customer service excellent!:D

RogueVasion

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
MA/CT
Haha :D

Imagine if he did that and repair that computer you brought in...

It's nice to know you got a new 24" iMac. Enjoy it & hope it works out well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.