Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclub10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Since we only have 14 days to return it if anything arises; what are the signs of things to look for when receiving the Macbook Pro. This is my first time getting one, so I wonder what are the things to test out or inspect. I will start. Feel free to add to the list. i.e. speed, heat, etc.

For reference, I got the 2.66 i7 15"-500 7200 rpm-4g Ram-HiRes Antiglare

1. Yellow tint
2. Dead Pixels

akramer

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
This forum is filled with the most neurotic people I've ever seen.

When you get your MBP, take it out of the box, remove the plastic wrapping, make sure it doesn't have any scratches or dents. Then open it and turn it on. Make sure it boots and doesn't crash within a few hours. Check for bad pixels if you want. Then, enjoy.

The yellow tint that people are going nuts about on this forum isn't actually a problem - every TN display appears to be a different color at the top and bottom due to viewing angle. If you move your head vertically you'll see colors shift - it's normal. The yellow tint test is designed to find a problem with the IPS displays in current generation iMacs.

maclub10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010

When you get your MBP, take it out of the box, remove the plastic wrapping, make sure it doesn't have any scratches or dents. Then open it and turn it on. Make sure it boots and doesn't crash within a few hours. Check for bad pixels if you want. Then, enjoy.

The yellow tint that people are going nuts about on this forum isn't actually a problem - every TN display appears to be a different color at the top and bottom due to viewing angle. If you move your head vertically you'll see colors shift - it's normal. The yellow tint test is designed to find a problem with the IPS displays in current generation iMacs.

AKRAMER, no need for name calling or insults-if you don't like the thread just do not answer.

I mentioned I am a first time owner and want to simply be an informed consumer for an item that is not cheap.

I appreciate you saying to look for dead pixels. I simply do not want the 14 days to go by and then I might not have checked for any particulars that I could have.

akramer

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
AKRAMER, no need for name calling or insults-if you don't like the thread just do not answer.

I mentioned I am a first time owner and want to simply be an informed consumer for an item that is not cheap.

I appreciate you saying to look for dead pixels. I simply do not want the 14 days to go by and then I might not have checked for any particulars that I could have.

Telling you that you're acting in a neurotic fashion by compiling a list of faults to check for on a machine you haven't yet received is not name calling. I'm suggesting you lighten up and give yourself a chance to like the computer - you're setting yourself up to have a bad experience.

I notice that you haven't removed the "yellow tint" item from your list - what test are you planning to use to check for yellow tint? As I said, every TN display will be a different tint at the top and bottom from a single viewpoint. You're really going to be disappointed depending on what you're looking for.

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
I don't think akramer was being insulting, just making the point that if you just use your MBP as normal during the first few days when you receive it you will know if there are any issues with it. Most of the time there will be no issues whatsoever. So don't worry about 'not having checked for any particulars', you'll have everything covered well within the 14 days.

There's no real need to get hung up about putting together 'inspection checklists' for when the MBP arrives. Certain issues like heat and speed that you mention will not manifest themselves until you start using the MBP for a while anyway and even then not until you start using processor intensive applications.

FnuGk

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2009
isnt the yellow tint problem the same the new iPhones had?

in that case it will go away in a week or so by itself.
it is just some glue used in the screen that havnt dried up yet because the machine havnt been laying arround on the shelf waiting to be sold.

Chansp1970

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
Since we only have 14 days to return it if anything arises; what are the signs of things to look for when receiving the Macbook Pro. This is my first time getting one, so I wonder what are the things to test out or inspect. I will start. Feel free to add to the list. i.e. speed, heat, etc.

For reference, I got the 2.66 i7 15"-500 7200 rpm-4g Ram-HiRes Antiglare

1. Yellow tint
2. Dead Pixels

3. backlight leak

Unfortunately, all MBP will have backlight leak from the bottom. It is quite common in notebook TN screens. You may want to check if the backlight leak is noticeable in normal ambient light. No need to check it in a dark room or you will just make yourself mad.

I started a thread about the backlight leak and showed my friend's new MBP has a very obvious bright stripe on the bottom of the screen.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/912823/

If you got one like this, definitely replace it.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana

I laughed out loud at this because its true! Seriously, most of us here are neurotic about our stuff. I am so OCD about my MBP... In fact, there was a thread awhile back where we were sharing our OCD type behavior. :)

I am big time OCD about the following:

Scratches
Dents
Bad/Dead Pixels - :eek: oh, my, don't get me started on this. Its the first thing I check for...

I don't care as much about:

Yellow tinting - I think the displays are going to vary because of the angle, light conditions, reflection/refraction, and other factors.

Backlight leakage - meh, unless its really bad...

Making sure the lid shuts perfect on both sides. I mean if its way off then its a problem but lets just say I'm not using a ruler to check...

Most of MR are neur...I mean passionate...about their stuff. :)

Cheers!
-P

Tali

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
Alright, here is one thing that can make you jump. Put it on your table and check if its flat. Now most of the time it won't be, because the desk isn't. So don't worry too much about that, just in case you notice it at some time.

I checked for dents and scratches and did a display test for bad pixels (something I do with every new item I purchase). I usually download iStat pro after some time and check if the fans react to the CPU / GPU temperature.

You don't need to do anything very specific, just basic common sense checks and you will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.