how to instal JDK 1.6 and JCreator on MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by makbarg, Aug 8, 2010.

1. makbarg macrumors newbie

greeting to all,
    as the title says, i need help installing JDK 1.6 and JCreator Lite on Macbook pro.
    I just bought my first MBP for my computer science degree in uni, and my programming1 teacher told us to download those two applications to learn Java.
    So i really hoping for someone to help me with these.

thank you.

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Mac OSX comes with JDK and JCreator is a windows only program. You need to install windows or download two programs called XCode and Netbeans

3. makbarg thread starter macrumors newbie

do xcode and netbeans functions do more-less the same? i mean for programming, java, etc. ??
    sorry for the noob question, and thanks.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Mac OS X comes with the JRE built in. Xcode installs the JDK.

Netbeans is another IDE for Java (and other languages). The other options are Eclipes, BlueJ or IntelliJ (commercial with a free open source edition).

5. makbarg thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, it basicly run the same as JCreator right? java and programming?
    so i just have to download xcode; latest version is 3.2.3 isn't it? do i really need to register as apple dev?
    oh and between netbeans, eclipse and others, which one do you recommend?
    thanks!

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Depends really. IntelliJ is the nicest to use but if you want some of the advanced features you need to cough up some cash. Eclipse is the most like Visual Studio if you have had any Windows development experience and Netbeans just gets the job done in a rather nice manner.

Frankly though I don't like any of the major Java IDEs that much. Netbeans ends up eating over a gigabyte of RAM, Eclipse is just as bad and I haven't been able to justify the expense of IntelliJ.