How to install 195.62 on windows 7 64bit?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by butters149, Feb 2, 2010.

1. butters149 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have a 15'' unibody mbp with the 9600M, and the nvidia notebook driver installer always fails to recognize my graphics card and quits. Is there a way around this? I have tried modifying some INF files but it doesnt work.

2. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Sorry but I have to ask; you did download the 64-bit version of the driver for Windows 7, correct? Have you tried re-downloading it, just in case?

3. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes 64bit, i am having a screen flickering problem with bad company 2

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can try extracting the installer with a utility like 7zip or WinRAR (navigate to the WinRAR x64 3.91 down the page, though it says trial it never stops working). Once either program is installed you right click the installer and choose the appropriate extract option.

Once the contents are extracted use device manager, locate your video card driver, double click it then choose to update the driver. Choose to find the driver rather than an automatic search. Browse to the folder you created and click OK on the sub folder containing your driver. Then click through the prompts to finish the install. It will either give you a message that it could not find a driver or that it was successful.

Sorry I can not be more detailed but I am on my Macbook at the moment so do not have access to the direct prompts on my Win 7 desktop.

Edit: I forgot for a moment but you should be able to skip the WinRAR steps. When you run the nVidia installer it extracts all the driver file to a folder labeled NVIDIA on the root directory of your C: drive. Just browse there when installing manually through device manager.

I also try to install all drivers through device manager. So that I can avoid the junk programs that get installed alongside the drivers. This is really useful for Wireless cards as the third party managers do a horrible job maintaining connections compared to Windows built in Wireless Zero Config service. As a bonus most drivers can be installed without a reboot. NVidia is a notable exception but ATI drivers work great this way.

After the install I would go to RUN > MSCONFIG and disable all nVidia services and startup items that get added. They add nothing to game performance but do a great job of hogging resources and increasing boot time. While your at it disable reader sl, quicktime and most other startup items. Be careful with services though click the checkbox to hide Microsoft services and you can screw up functionality if you disable the wrong one.

5. Jottle macrumors 6502

this is all good advice, but without an installer run for nvidia, you do miss getting the latest versions of the nvidia/physx control panel. I don't know how important that is to the OP, but these control panels usually have new options on them when there's a display driver update that comes with them. Also, velocity is correct. The regular installer from nvidia won't work on bootcamp. You can also download a modified version of the geforce drivers from laptopvideo2go.com. These will install on your macbook pro as well. The issue is that the default nvidia display drivers do not recognize the macbook pro's 9600M for some reason. It's ridiculous as apple's bootcamp installs the very same drivers, albeit older ones.

6. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

Are the new ones better then the old ones? From what I can remember the original (old) drivers gave more higher benchmarks then the newer ones. I wanna use it for game and hopefully the new ones fix the OpenGL issues as well. I will try the ones from laptopvideo2go.

7. aki macrumors 6502a

i have the 3.03 imac with nvidia 8800gs

i used to run vista32 and could never get official nvidia drivers to install

even trying the modified inf file ways from laptopvideo2go didnt work for me (altho that could be because i didnt really understand what i was meant to be doing)

in the end i used doxdrivers again from laptopvideo2go and they always installed without any problem (and definitely helped performance)

unfortunately, dox doesnt update their drivers any more

but, after i installed win7 and the latest bootcamp, now suddenly the normal; nvidia video card installer works

so my general advice from my experience is - make sure you have the latest bootcamp, if the official nvidia installer doesn't work, try the laptopvideo2go modified inf ways (there are pre-modified ones or you can do it yourself)

if everything fails, at absolute worst you could install the old doxdrivers, as they seem to install on anything, and even though they are old now the latest release is (probably?) newer than the drivers in the latest bootcamp

sorry i cant be better help