How to Install 2.0 Firmware 2.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TheYankees1903, Apr 4, 2008.

1. TheYankees1903 macrumors regular

Hello,

I have gotten my hands on the iPhone and iPod Touch 2.0 Firmware and have tried to install the iPod Touch 2.0 Firmware.

When trying to do so by updating I got an error so instead i knocked the Firmware into restore mode and installed the iPod Touch 2.0 Firmware that way instead. It took a while but it worked... Or So i thought...

After the iPod Touch booted up with 2.0 I got a purple version of the recovery mode image on the screen and it told me, through iTunes, that I was not registered ad my iPod could not be used with this firmware...

Anyone know how I can go around this so that I can actually use this firmware i have?

Please Please Please Help,
    I am desperate!

TheYankees1903 :apple:

P.S. Private Message Me With Directions If You Prefer To Contact Me That Way Instead...

2. manram24 macrumors member

you have to pwn your ipod first
    if u don't know what pwn is then, good luck

its all over ipodtouchfans if u didn't know

3. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Yankees Suck!!!!

But if you want to put 2.0 on you need to use Pwnage, Pwn your iPod, than build a custom 2.0 firmware with the ipsw buillder in pwnage, than finally alt-click restore your custom 2.0 on your ipod in iTunes. Very easy to do.

Download Pwnage and follow the directions they give.

4. TheYankees1903 thread starter macrumors regular

Wait Please Help

I see what you are saying but unfortunately i only have access to a PC and I am not good enough to make a custom Firmware. If I were to send you the iPod 2.0 firmware would you please be able to tweak it for me? Then send it back to me? It would be a huge help.

PLEASE HELP,
    TheYankees1903 :apple:

5. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

It's so easy, I'll even help a Yankee fan:)

You have pwnage right? You're pwned, right?

So now, load your 2.0 by hitting the Browse ipsw button in Pwnage. Look for where you saved the Firmware you want to pwn on your hard drive. pwn it. it may take a couple of tries. if you get a fail message, just try again.

now that your fw is customized, open itunes, alt(mac) or shift(win) restore, navigate in the window to where your custom firmware is, and Bang! you're all set!

so easy, even jeter could do it! :cool:

6. TheYankees1903 thread starter macrumors regular

I Am Not A Yankees Fan!

I picked the name TheYankees1903 because they were founded in that year. When they first started off they sucked almost as much as Melky and as a result the name was kind of ironic.

I do have 3 questions about the iPod Touch with 2.0 though...

1) What if I do not have pwnage tool because I am on a PC?
    2) How do I customize the 2.0 firmware anyway and does it require coding?
    3) If I have a custom 2.0 firmware do I still need to pwn my iPod Touch?

Thank You,
    TheYankees1903 (TheRedSox2007) :apple:

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

And anyway,

Other than the initial coolness factor, having 2.0 kinda blows. It is super buggy and not really worth keeping.

8. cazlar macrumors 6502

1) You either wait a week or so until a PC version is released, or find access to a Mac.
    2) Customize in this sense doesn't mean doing anything manually, it just means applying some patches through the pwnage tools to bypass activation etc before you load it onto the iPod.
    3) Yes. Pwning the iPod allows it to load the custom firmware in addition to the Apple-signed "official" firmwares. So even if you get someone to send you a pre-customized firmware file, it won't load until you Pwn the iPod (which currently requires a Mac).

As others have said, FW 2.0b isn't ready for the masses, and despite it being "cool" to have it, there isn't much use to it, unless you are a developer of course, in which case you have a somewhat valid reason to dabble in order to test your apps. Just because you CAN run FW2.0 early, doesn't mean you SHOULD. However, if you still wish to do this I would suggest going to hackint0sh and reading all the recent threads there.

Heading off topic, but it just struck me that after years of being subjected to manufacturers making Windows-only software and being told the equivalent of "Just find a PC (there's plenty around) and run it on that - why the hell do you have a Mac anyway?", it is strange to have PC users (in general, not TheYankees1903 specifically) complaining that a tool is Mac-only in the same way. At least in terms of iPwn they only have to wait a week or so, instead of knowing the tools will never be ported in the forseeable future.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, someone is probably gonna find this to be extremely rude...

But why don't you get it legally instead of downloading a pirated copy? I can guarantee that you wouldn't have these problems.

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ok I have been reading on iPod Touch Fans forums that winpwn (windows version of pwnage) is in beta testing starting today and if the testing is successful they will be releasing it this weekend.

at the min the only way to get past the "pink screen of death" on the iPod touch via windows is paying Apple $99 to join the dev team for iPhone apps and register your device with them so until winpwn comes out your just gonna have to sit tight or restore to 1.1.4

11. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

And for the record, unless you are a pretty well-established dev, you can try to give Apple $99, but they aren't going to let you in. They are being extremely picky in who they choose to join the dev program and give a 2.0 beta. So, even if you want to give Apple $99, hell, even if you wanted to give them $500, you aren't getting 2.0.

Almost make you want to scream like a pirate...

12. boramora macrumors member

boramora

People can't "legally" get the 2.0 firmware unless they're a well-recognized developer that has paid for the $300 iPhone/iPod touch Enterprise Developer program. Only after that will Apple "consider" you for the firmware; as far as I've heard only selected Enterprise Developers received a copy of the 2.0 firmware.

Those that have tried to install the 2.0 firmware without "PWNing" it will get the pink/purple screen of death where iTunes tells you your iPod touch/iPhone isn't registered in their database as available for installation.

13. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

Off topic but:

Does 802.1X authentication work with the beta?

14. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Just wait for WinPwn then pwn your iPod, pwn the firmware I sent you then restore the iPod with that and you will be fine :)

I told you that already in a PM, im sure...