How to install a clean Mavericks on a new SSD?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by passatgt, Jan 25, 2014.

1. passatgt macrumors newbie

Hi!

I changed my superdrive to a 120gb ssd in my mid 2011 iMac. Currently i'm running Mavericks on my primary HDD.

How should i proceed about installing a new Mavericks to my SSD, keeping all of my data on the built-in hdd?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you talking about keeping your home folder on the hard drive, or just maintaining some of your data on the hard drive.

As for installing OSX on the SSD, boot the Mac up into Recovery Mode (cmd-r), partition and format the drive using Disk Utility and then load Mavericks.

3. passatgt thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i just need to keep some of my data on my HDD, but i want a clean install on my ssd. Does that mean i don't meed to create a bootable usb drive with the mavericks installer on it, i can do everything with the recovery tool and after the install, all of my data will be on the hdd as usual?

4. abcdefg12345 macrumors regular

abcdefg12345

get external hdd caddy

Why don't u get an external hdd caddy and use it to connect your old hard drive into your mac externally and copy your data to the new ssd.

5. passatgt thread starter macrumors newbie

My idea is to create a bootable mavericks installer, install a clean mavericks on my ssd. Then, when i start my iMac i can choose which mavericks should i start, the old one from my hdd or the new one from my ssd. This is how it should work, or am i missing something?