Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I've downloaded the Mac OS X Lion GM Seed from the Mac appstore, where does it store the actual downloaded dmg file? Does anyone on here know if theres a hack or a way to burn it on a dvd disc or put it on a usb drive to install from? I'd like to format the HD on my macbook pro and install a brand new, fresh copy rather than updating from SL -> Lion.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I don't think any "hack" is needed. Just find the .dmg file (Spotlight) and use Disk Utility to burn it to a DVD. You shouldn't have any problem booting your computer from the DVD. I did this for DP 2. It installed no problem. All this talk about it being stupid that Lion won't be released on a disk is overblown. You can make your own disk.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Even just creating a small partition on an external drive and restoring the image to that worked for me. Much better than going out and buying a disk or waiting for it to arrive.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Why is this so hard to understand? Lion installs a recovery partition as part of the install process. Use that recovery partition's Disk Utility to format the drive. Install.

It's not that difficult. :confused:

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
How does it work? There is no .dmg filed that was downloaded from the mac app store? It's a 3.76gb application file. How would I make an application file bootable?

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
How does it work? There is no .dmg filed that was downloaded from the mac app store? It's a 3.76gb application file. How would I make an application file bootable?

Launch the Application. It will create the recovery partition as part of the install process, then reboot into that recovery partition.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

An app is just a bundle. You can generally right click and "Show Package Contents" to find the contents (in this case the DMG).

B

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Okay so would it be possible to somehow put the 3.76gb "app" file onto a USB Drive and install Lion onto a clean partition from there?

If so how do I go about putting the installable Lion image onto the USB drive? Some help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

UPDATE: I found the .dmg file inside of the app. it is called InstallESD.dmg (3.74gb), I am attempting to restore this image file onto my 8GB USB Flash Drive and see if I can boot up from it in order to install Lion onto a fresh new partition. I hope it works.

Last edited:

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Okay so would it be possible to somehow put the 3.76gb "app" file onto a USB Drive and install Lion onto a clean partition from there?

If so how do I go about putting the installable Lion image onto the USB drive? Some help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Stop thinking.

1) Launch the application.
2) It will put a recovery partition on your Hard Drive.
3) It reboots into that recovery partition.
4) Use said recovery partition to wipe your drive.
5) Voila. Clean install.

FPSDavid

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Stop thinking.

1) Launch the application.
2) It will put a recovery partition on your Hard Drive.
3) It reboots into that recovery partition.
4) Use said recovery partition to wipe your drive.
5) Voila. Clean install.

Will this work for 100% sure? I got into the recovery partition, tried to click Install OS X Lion or whatever the one below restore from Time Machine was, it said verifying with Apple, then errored and went back to the menu with the 4-5 options.

I don't want to wipe my drive and then not be able to go back to Snow Leopard if the verification from Apple fails...

Last edited:

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
The last time I did it (a few weeks ago) it didn't work like that. When I clicked Install it worked a little, rebooted, and continued with the install. Between clicking Install and Setup Assistant there was no chance for user interaction. I wasn't given any opportunity to use Disk Utility.

A few weeks before that I tried using the recovery partition on an install of Lion DP to do a clean reinstall. I got error messages and couldn't proceed. It's likely that this is fixed in the GM but you'd have to update to the GM first to try it.

Consistantly the least painful way to do it over the last few months has been restoring the DMG to an external disk.

nanosour

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
Use Disk Utility to create a partition for Lion. (8GB minimum). THen, what you want to do is launch Disk Utility and under File on menu select Open Disk Image. Open your .dmg that you downloaded from app store. This will add the dmg to the left side of Disk Utility. Right click on the .dmg and select burn to disk option. Put it on a 4.7 GB DVD. Then remove and re-enter the DVD from the hard drive.

Then simply restart your computer. At the first audible sound, press and hold the option key until the partitions and Lion DVD show up. Select the Lion disk and make sure you install it on the partition you made for lion. Then each time you boot you'll need to hold the option key down to be able to select with system you want to boot in to.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Yamcha thats what I thought as well. But right click the app file and go to show contents and do a search for dmg and you will see it.

FPSDavid

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I ended burning the DMG to a Image DVD and booted from it, install went smoothly.

truciet

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
i can vouch you can copy the dmg out of the package and use the disk utility to restore the image to a flash drive.

you will need at least 8gb. 4gb will not work.

it took me 10-12 minutes to make the usb drive copy.

once it finished, i rebooted holding down the option key and started the usb up. lion installed smoothly and 100% clean. once installation was completed, i rebooted again holding the option key and confirmed the recovery partition.

everything went as planned and 100% clean install!

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
I couldn't find an option for disk utility so I just did a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6.7 from my DVD and then installed Lion GM over that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.