How to install a small Yosemite/Mav. partition besides Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by freeuser, Jan 22, 2015.

1. freeuser macrumors regular

I have installed a Windows only Bootcamp on my iMac (Win 8.1 in EFI-mode).
    And windows works well, except I have to use an external soundcard.

Now, I consider a small partition of Yosemite or Mavericks on the internal SSD, ok it's the opposite way, one should normaly create a Bootcamp partition after one have Yosemite on the Mac. Reason is, I want to use Winclone or the new Paragon Beta Backup Software. Usually, I use an external Yosemite Thunderbolt SSD, and to Backup the internal Windows Bootcamp, Winclone does a Backup, but after an Recovery, I can't get Windows to boot (Error Code).

Ok, I can create an Partition from within Windows, but what steps should I bear in mind to install Yosemite besides my Bootcamp? Thx!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You cannot resize a Bootcamp partition. You must erase and reinstall Windows for it to work.

3. doynton macrumors 6502

Of course you can. Try looking at one of the 100 threads on this forum on the subject.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It isn't like a regular resize though.

5. doynton macrumors 6502

1. Shrink Windows and make a new partition.
    2. Use gdisk to update GPT to match MBR (if it isn't already).
    3. Change partition type to HFS
    4. Install.

I know everyone says hybrid mbr is flakey and so on but it isn't. As long as you remember OSX looks after GPT and Windows looks after MBR then if you change your partition layout in one you just update it using gdisk (available in OSX, Linux or Windows) so they are in synch.

You don't have to delete your bootcamp partition if all you want to do is shrink or grow it or split it in two.

6. freeuser thread starter macrumors regular