How to install custom phone dialers?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by XenNightz, Feb 25, 2008.

1. XenNightz macrumors member

On modmyifone.com they have some custom "bar dailers" but I can't figure out how to install them. I can't even find the dang applications folder on my 1.1.2. Anybody got any idea how to install custom phone dialers? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

2. Neobond macrumors regular

I was just messing around with this a few hours ago.

To get it to work for me (on 1.1.3) I had to SSH into phone, navigate to /Applications/MobilePhone.app/ and in that folder (or something very similar) will be all the png files for the dialer, just back-up the files you are replacing and send the new ones over, restart and enjoy!

3. ngarjuna macrumors newbie

Hmm...what am I doing wrong?

I just tried what you advised, Neo, and it didn't exactly work (although it almost did, which is odd)...here is what happened:
    -1.1.3 ZiPhone JB, AT&T (not unlocked)
    -Windows machine (Vista x64 or XP x86, I still have my dual boot from before the iPhone worked in Vista x64); since iPhoneBrowser was giving me fits in Vista x64, these procedures were applied in the XP environment.

-Using iPhoneBrowser, I went into /Applications/MobilePhone.app/ and grabbed a copy of DefaultDialer.png (for backup). I renamed this file (I called it OLDDefaultDialer.png) and moved my new file (that I edited in Photoshop), called DefaultDialer.png.

-In iPhoneBrowser, it shows the new file just fine when I look at DefaultDialer.png preview.

-I restart the phone; I open up the Phone application and hit the dialer; my custom dialer image pops, and then (literally 1/2 a second later), it disappears and loads the 'original'. The dialer works fine fwiw. Every time I open the dialer app, it will have the default loaded from then on. If I repeat the above-mentioned process, it does the same thing: it alters the image for the first half second after reboot, then it reverts to the original.

-To combat the problem, I deleted the original file (since I have it backed up on my machine), hoping that it would then be unable to restore it on top of my edited copy. To my surprise, the same behavior as mentioned above continues to occur (suggests to me that the original DefaultDialer.png must be elsewhere on the phone besides MobilePhone.app if it's able to find it still after I have deleted the original from that folder).

Edit: -I tried one additional step (suggested on a different forum), which was to make the perms on the new file match the old. Indeed, the old file was rw-rw-r--. So I set the new file to that. No change. That same forum suggested using chmod 0777 on the MobilePhone.app folder itself, but I thought I should get some advice before I go messing around (especially since there's no ZiPhone for 1.1.4 in case I screw up).

I would appreciate any suggestions tremendously; this was one of the customizations I was most excited about when I decided to try out jailbreaking. I have done some searching (both on this site and on others) and I'm not finding what it is I'm missing or might have done wrong. I did try using the Customize app dialer keypad setting, but that affects the dialer that appears when you are in a call (and choose show keypad), not the 'main dialer' part of the phone app.

4. ngarjuna macrumors newbie

Okay, I figured it out. In case anyone else is having this problem (I searched this forum extensively and did not find these instructions), here is what I learned:

-The file I altered and loaded (that would only display for the first 1/2 second of run) is the background for the dialerpad; indeed, it loads the numberpad itself right on top of that image (despite the fact that said image already has a dialer pad contained in it, hence my confusion). So I was actually witnessing the phone load the background (first), then load the dialer pad right over the top of it.

-The file you need to alter (to change the dialpad) is located in a packed .artwork file. I was able to use the 'Editing .artwork Files...' from modmyifone's Wiki; iPhoneShop-0.6 unpacked and packed the .artwork files, and it worked perfectly once I replaced MobilePhonePackedImages.artwork with the one I had generated with my custom images.

-I did end up trying the chmod 0777 on the MobilePhone.app directory (before I figured out the above). I'm not sure if that's a necessary step in 1.1.3 or not; there was a suggestion on a different forum that it was necessary in order to use the 1.1.1 formatted images in 1.1.3 (iPhoneShop claims to support 1.0.2 and 1.1.1 images only).

But it worked, it dials, it looks spiffy. My thanks to the forum at large: this forum didn't generate the solution for me, but many great posts (I always check MacRumors first lately when I'm trying to modify my phone) and posters gave me the background context I was missing to pull this off.

5. Neobond macrumors regular

I have never used DefaultDialer.png for my modding. To change the keypad permanently I had to download from my phone MobilePhonePackedImages.artwork, then i used ArtWorker.app in OS X to extract the png files from that artwork file. The last two files in the folder were MobilePhonePackedImages-30.png and MobilePhonePackedImages-31.png, which are the main dialer and the pressed dialer images. I replaced these with my own (keeping the same names as what was in the folder) then used ArtWorker to repackage the artwork file, sent to my phone and now my new images are always there!

When I load a new 'theme' on my phone the original displays for 1/2 second then my modded one shows up all the time, so i'm guessing from what you have experienced if I also replace DefaultDialer with my modded theme then I will never see the stock image.

6. AlphaBoy85 macrumors regular

well.. there's a way aand I'm trying it now..

7. Durte macrumors newbie

since you seem to know whats going down. wondering if you can help someone who is doing the same( installing the dialer for Iphone 3G) but instead of ssh into your phone. using Disk aid. were can I access to upload a dialer them that i own. it is a PNG file. but cant find a method of installing. I have access to the root secti/on of the phone. have gone through applications/mobilephone.app/????.... but dont know where to go from their.
    Help a brotha out!!!!!