How to Install iOS 12 Public Beta on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 25, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today released the first public beta of iOS 12 for compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models, enabling users who aren't signed up for the Apple Developer Program to test the software update ahead of its official release in the fall.

While iOS 12 introduces several new features, it is designed to work on all iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models that can run iOS 11, and the company says it has focused on bringing performance improvements to both old and new devices.

That said, iOS 12 is pre-release software, so installing the Public Beta on a secondary device is highly recommended. The stability of beta software cannot be guaranteed, as it often contains bugs and issues that have yet to be ironed out, so installing it on your day-to-day device isn't advised.

Installing the Public Beta shouldn't take longer than half an hour, but first you should create a backup of your device's contents and settings. The following step-by-step instructions are given for iPhone, but apply to iPad and iPod touch just the same.

How to Create a Backup of Your Device in iTunes
    1. Connect your iOS device to a Mac or PC using a Lightning to USB cable.
      Open iTunes.
      Click the device's icon in the top-left menu.
      [​IMG]

Under Backups, click This computer.
      Tick the Encrypt iPhone backup checkbox if you want to back up your login credentials and any Health and HomeKit data.
      [​IMG]

Click Back Up Now.
      Click iTunes -> Preferences... in the macOS menu bar.
      Click the Devices tab.
      [​IMG]

Right-click (or Ctrl-click) the new backup, and select Archive from the contextual dropdown menu.
    How to Enroll in the Apple Beta Software Program
    Now that you've backed up your device, you're ready to download the iOS 12 Public Beta. To do so, you must enroll your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in the free Apple Beta Software Program.
    1. Open Safari on your iOS device and navigate to the Apple Beta Software Program.
      Tap the Sign up button, or sign in if you're already a member.
      Enter your Apple ID credentials and tap the Sign in button.
      Agree to the Apple Beta Software Program terms and conditions if necessary.
      A Guide for Public Betas screen will appear. Select the iOS tab, scroll down to the Get Started section and tap enroll your iOS device.
      On the Enroll Your Devices screen, with the iOS tab selected, scroll down and tap the Download profile button.
      [​IMG]

Tap "iPhone" or "iPad" when prompted to choose a device.
      Tap Allow.
      Tap Install and follow the prompts to install the iOS Beta Software Profile.
      [​IMG]

Restart your device after installing the profile by tapping the restart popup.
    How to Install the iOS 12 Public Beta
    Once you're enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Program, you can install the iOS 12 Public Beta on your iOS device just as you would a regular software update.
    1. Launch the Settings app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
      Tap General.
      Tap Software Update.
      Tap Download and Install.
      [​IMG]

Tap Install Now.

If you come across any issues installing the iOS 12 Public Beta, it may help to clear any previous profiles lingering on your device. You can find these in the Settings app under General -> Profile.

Article Link: How to Install iOS 12 Public Beta on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

2. RumorConsumer macrumors 6502a

RumorConsumer

Now to find an older device... anybody have experience of speed increases on older hardware?

3. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Whatever you do, make two backups. One with iCloud and one with iTunes or Apple Configurator.

4. Knightcastle macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

Noticeably faster on my iPad Mini 4. Currently on Dev Beta 1.

5. RumorConsumer macrumors 6502a

RumorConsumer

That’s encouraging! Any standout sequences or experiences? App load times etc?

6. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

Think I might give it a go on my 6th Gen iPod Touch ‘cos iOS 11 is awful on it!

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Good article for the newbies.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2018 ---
    iCloud backup does not archive like iTunes does. Best stick to iTunes and or use iMazing, if one needs to roll back.

8. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

I’m not installing this as it will be full of bugs.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Get a can of bug spray.

10. saudade macrumors 6502

saudade

Dud r u da kind of men who safely remove a pendrive from a computer too?

Be a man like me and install thiz. Who cares if a female or the ios12 is full of bugs. Just do it. This is America. Land of the BRAVE

11. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Can't be any worse than iOS 11.

12. UKinEK macrumors regular

UKinEK

5s feels like a new phone. Not the same speed as iOS 7 but pretty good
    - battery also last longer
    - tiny little stutter while scrolling really fast

but I am not a heavy user, so do not know how it is under heavy stress

13. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I’m assuming google maps : waze CarPlay is probably going to be released with the GM or shortly after of iOS 12 and not any betas?

14. kissmo macrumors 6502a

My experiences in the past with many betas was that it drastically shortened the battery life.
    It's probably because the SW is not optimised and the phone drains more the battery, it runs hotter and you have to put more cycles in it.

Unless you don't mind or have an actual reason to install it, I would recommend to stay on your existing iOS and enjoy the outside doors rather than rubbing your thumb on a glass screen. ;)

15. UKinEK macrumors regular

UKinEK

It runs debug the whole time, therefore it drains the battery faster and works harder

That said, my 5s last longer than on an ios 11. Not drastically longer, but, longer

16. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

17. chineseguy38 macrumors member

18. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

And be careful of apps you can't reinstall like ProTube.

19. BlueCreek macrumors regular

That’s also all I’m interested in, none of the other iOS 12 features really stand out unless you have an old device.

20. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

Works great. Weather app updates properly (unlike ios11) Much better and smoother. All my apps work too.

Finally off iOS11. What an absolute turd that was!

21. Dustonfoster macrumors newbie

Dustonfoster

22. burnsie28 macrumors newbie

The only other issue other than Car Play that I am having is my clock, wifi, battery and Apple Calendar not showing. It's almost like they went invisible just on my main app screens. Once in an app they work fine.

23. O.N.Y.X macrumors member

I just updated my iPhone SE from 10.3.3 and I’m surprised by the performance of this early beta. Not just that, it’s also all these nice little under the hood improvements. They might’ve been there in 11 but I’ve never had the pleasure(?) to work with v11–
    Also this beta seems stable, I’ve yet to encounter a bug.
    So, my first impression is quite good!

24. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

25. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I’m thinking of doing this. I only have one iPhone, and I’m assuming it won’t completely brick it to the point Apple won’t fix it.

The main reason I want to do this is to help Apple find bugs and be able to give them feedback on issues I find. I want to say I was able to do this with OS X years ago. Is this still possible with iOS? And is it easy to give them feed back?