How to install Lion on a SSD+HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by basketball762, Aug 30, 2011.

1. basketball762 macrumors regular

Hi MacRumors. Let me first say how much I want to thank everybody for their help with all my problems I have been having these past few weeks! I just got my brand new MacBook Pro Early 2011 model after upgrading from my old MacBook late 2008. Everything is working great but I am right now waiting for my SSD to come into the mail. When that does come I am going to be replacing my orignal HD to my new SSD and I am going to be installing an optical bay replacing my Optical Drive. I will then be placing my original HD in that optical bay. The only thing that I am having an issue right now trying to figure out is how am I suppose to install Lion on my SSD? The reason I am asking is because, I came from Leopard so I am not able to go back to Snow Leopard and download Lion from there cause I didn't have the App Store on my old computer. Also, my MacBook didn't come with a Lion DVD or CD so I can't use that. Any help is appreciated for this!

2. andyboutte macrumors member

Do you have an enclosure you could temporally put one of those drives in?

If you do, this is what I would do.

Put your SSD in the enclosure and boot your new computer off the recovery partition by holding command r at boot. once in choose to reinstall but instead of selecting your internal hard drive select your SSD. then put your SSD inside your laptop and move the other drive to the optical drive bay. after that just boot the computer off the SSD and do a firewire migration from your original macbook pro.

thats gonna be a sweet setup.

3. basketball762 thread starter macrumors regular

Sadly, I don't have an external enclosure for my hard drive :(. I can purchase one if it is truly needed and is the only option I have. Is there any other way I can get Lion installed on my SSD? Thanks :D

4. treestar macrumors 6502

How do you have a copy of Lion without using the app store?

5. basketball762 thread starter macrumors regular

It came pre-installed with my new MacBook Pro. Though obviously they don't include the Lion CD's anymore :(

6. treestar macrumors 6502

I don't know a lot about the recovery partition, but if you boot into it I think it might give you the option to download the Lion installer. If you can download the installer then you can probably make a USB boot disk of it. Snoop around the recovery disk.

7. andyboutte macrumors member

do you have a firewire cable to connect the two computers? are you comfortable putting the SSD in your original MacBook Pro? if you can you can use the original MacBook Pro as an external hard drive using target disk mode.

Thats the only way I can think of. I don't think the recovery partition will let you download it.

8. treestar macrumors 6502

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

It looks like you will use the Lion Internet Recovery method but I am not sure how to initiate it.

----------

Also try Command-R during reboot if it does not start automatically.

9. andyboutte macrumors member

Your computer will not work with Lion internet recovery mode. only the 2011 macbook air and mac mini and newer will work with that.