How to install Mac OS X on a newly installed HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ramtink, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Ramtink, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012

Ramtink macrumors newbie

Hi,
    i have a macbook pro (running MOUNTAIN LION) that is not fast enough for my needs... i am planning to change my hard drive and RAM.... i'm putting a solid state drive in it and upping the RAM...

my question is how do it install Mountain Lion back on my new system?
    the real question is HOW AND WHERE DO I GET THE MOUNTAIN LION CD FOR FREE? cause i've already paid for it... the CD that came with my macbook is no good anymore cause i'm on mountain lion.

please be as informative as possible i've never done this.

thanks again :)

2. Ramtink thread starter macrumors newbie

i've checked all those links, all of them are about installing new OS on your existing hard drive... what i wanna know is how i can do it on a brand new HD.... the process must be different! or no?

i guess my real question is, WHERE CAN I GET THE MOUNTAIN LION CD for free? cause i've already paid for it.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't read carefully enough. From the first link:
    Mountain Lion has never been offered for sale on a disc. If you've already paid for it, that link will show you how to re-download it.

4. Ramtink thread starter macrumors newbie

i see!
    but my problem is that my mac is NOT new... it was released before lion! so i won't be able to use the same recovery system...

the only thing that comes to my mind art this point is this:
    install SNOW LEOPARD (the original CD that came with my macbook), then redownload and install the MOUNTAIN LION that i already paid for! this should work no?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep. That'll do it.

6. Ramtink thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no need to go through this double install. Just use this free utility from Apple to make yourself a 1GB USB recovery key. Pop in the new drive and option key boot from the USB key. Then format the SSD with Disk Utility and afterward install Mountain Lion. When you start the ML install you will be asked for the AppleID you used to buy ML previously.