Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mayogt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Wichita, KS
I'm prepping to replace my faulty hard drive with a new one this evening in my iMac. I've done modifications to Dell and HP computers in the past and this will be my first time accessing an Apple iMac to replace a Hard Drive. What I'm nervous about is the steps I need to take after the installation is complete.

I have been backing up my iMac to an external HD and using Time Machine.

Can someone please link me to a website or explain what I need to do to get my Mac OS X installed on my new Hard Drive? I know I need to boot up with the installation disk and install Mac OS X, but not really sure of the steps.

And how do I restore all my files from my external HD via Time Machine.

I'm comfortable with the hardware stuff, it's just getting the proper steps to install the software that has me a little nervous...I just want to do this right the first time, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
I'm prepping to replace my faulty hard drive with a new one this evening in my iMac. I've done modifications to Dell and HP computers in the past and this will be my first time accessing an Apple iMac to replace a Hard Drive. What I'm nervous about is the steps I need to take after the installation is complete.

I have been backing up my iMac to an external HD and using Time Machine.

Can someone please link me to a website or explain what I need to do to get my Mac OS X installed on my new Hard Drive? I know I need to boot up with the installation disk and install Mac OS X, but not really sure of the steps.

And how do I restore all my files from my external HD via Time Machine.

I'm comfortable with the hardware stuff, it's just getting the proper steps to install the software that has me a little nervous...I just want to do this right the first time, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yep, it's that simple. With the new HD in the machine, boot from the OS DVD. You will need to format the HD (if it doesn't do it automatically, just after the screen where you select you language you will get a menu bar where you can drop down to select disk utility - partition to GUID). Follow the instructions, let it install. Once it's installed you get the pretty, pretty OS X first install movie. After the movie, you set up your account. Along the way in one of those post-movie steps it will give you the option to restore from a TM backup. Plug in your TM drive, select the drive when it's recognized, wait and wait a bit more, pick what you want to restore and you're golden.

dashcs

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
Yep, it's that simple. With the new HD in the machine, boot from the OS DVD. You will need to format the HD (if it doesn't do it automatically, just after the screen where you select you language you will get a menu bar where you can drop down to select disk utility - partition to GUID). Follow the instructions, let it install. Once it's installed you get the pretty, pretty OS X first install movie. After the movie, you set up your account. Along the way in one of those post-movie steps it will give you the option to restore from a TM backup. Plug in your TM drive, select the drive when it's recognized, wait and wait a bit more, pick what you want to restore and you're golden.

After you format the internal HD with disk utility,you don't ned to install the OS then restore from TM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/15638.html

After you get the drive formatted.
Just follow that article and your system would be restore.It does a os install and restore at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.