How to install Mountain Lion over Mavericks rMBP, late 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vigorito, Jun 12, 2014.

1. vigorito macrumors regular

Im not satisfied with overall performance of late 2013 mbpr base model 4gb/128gb running maverics,is it possible to install mountain lion over maverics?
    last year i was using mbpr late 2012 8gb/128gb on mountain lion and that maschine was much faster,i heard that iris chip cant push properly retina screen and thats was causing ocassional lagging so i want to try how this mbpr late 2013 performing under mountain lion if someone know the answer how to roll back osx please let me know.

2. hexxed macrumors newbie

I don't believe the 2013 rMBP's support Mountain Lion :(

3. vigorito thread starter macrumors regular

did anyone have tied the new os Yosemite on mbpr late 2013?

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Maybe ask in the Yosemite forum.

Barney

5. Freyqq macrumors 601

I don't think installing ML would solve your problem. It's probably the lack of ram.

6. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I don't think you can install ML on this machine because there are no drivers for the Iris graphics chips included with ML. There are also other required drivers that are not probably included with ML for the wifi, thunderbolt etc.

Since Iris (HD5000) has better performance than the HD4000 used in the 2012 model I doubt it is due to the new graphics chip not being able to drive the retina screen (which has not changed in the late 2013 model).

Was this MacBook as sluggish when you first got it? If not, perhaps doing a clean install of Mavericks would be beneficial. Do you use any memory intensive programs that run in the background that could be eating up RAM? How much free memory do you have available under normal usage conditions?

7. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Slight correction... the Iris (non pro) is basically/technically the HD 5100.

----------

Also to the OP if your machine is running strangely I'd suggest to shut down the rMBP, then when you turn it on hold down the Command and R keys to boot into Recovery Mode... There you can reformat and reinstall OS X over the internet, that is of course with some backups in place first. That'll reinstall the version of OS X that's made for your machine. There. Problem solved.

8. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I stand corrected! While the Iris (HD5100) is based on HD5000 technology, it runs at a higher frequency and is more powerful than a HD5000.