How to install new software with a broken keyboard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macinda, May 22, 2009.

1. macinda macrumors newbie

I feel even embarased to make such a question but i really have a huge problem.
    My keyboard is broken so i went and bought a microsoft wireless desktop for Mac.
    Im trying to install the software and Installer requires the admin password which-obviously i cant type through my old nor new keyboard.
    Could u please help me with this?What could i do to finish the installation and be able to use the new keyboard?
    Thank u in advance

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Can you copy and paste the characters for your password using the mouse?

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Don't be embarrassed, it's can happen to anyone.

You may want to try using the Keyboard Viewer to enter the password on-screen. Do this:

Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > International

Click the "Input Menu" tab at the top, and then check the box labeled "Keyboard Viewer".

You'll notice in the upper-right corner of the menu bar (next to the clock), there will be a small picture of a flag. Click on it, and choose "Show Keyboard Viewer".

This will open an on-screen keyboard which with you can use to type your password in. :)

4. macinda thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried to copy the characters of my password throught the only thing i have access to, a web page but paste doesnt work when i try to do it in the password field:(

5. macinda thread starter macrumors newbie