Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I would have real concerns hitting that.

I have used the reset settings button at the bottom of the Wap carrier settings page and that got my MMS working.

So your saying that you wouldn't try a 'Reset All Settings' in fear of it messing up the jailbreak?

My problem is being able to install the carrier file without getting the error. I'm not having the problem of the red exclamation point. I could only wish I was that close to getting it working.

ItsDarts

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
So your saying that you wouldn't try a 'Reset All Settings' in fear of it messing up the jailbreak?

My problem is being able to install the carrier file without getting the error. I'm not having the problem of the red exclamation point. I could only wish I was that close to getting it working.

resetting all settings shouldn't affect your jailbreak since the settings are directly tied into the jail broken IPSW that you installed during the jailbreak. However, at the very least, it will make you have to rearrange all your icons, keyboard settings and location warnings, all of which has nothing to do with MMS or the network. In other words, you'd be creating more work than necessary. If resetting the network settings does work, then the other settings wouldn't make a difference.

As for me, I un-jailbroke, restored to new, installed OS3.1, installed IPCC 5.5, re-synced select programs and all contacts and calendars and I still can't get it to work. I've installed IPCC 5.1 and entered the settings mentioned earlier and that didn't work. I installed IPCC 6.0 (Stealth) with correct settings and that didn't work. I've called AT&T twice now, and once I was told there was some kind of block that they lifted and that didn't work. My second call resulted in them telling me I had the wrong messaging plan, that there is a plan specific for Iphones, but that didn't work either. I've had them check and confirm my IMEI# and ICCID numbers and they checked out. My last resort is to go to Apple on Thursday. This is when I expect them to tell me (after a few feeble attempts at troubleshooting) to go back to AT&T since this is their baby, not apples. Or they will tell me that they can give me a refurb for a modest price since I'm past the 1 year warranty.:(

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
resetting all settings shouldn't affect your jailbreak since the settings are directly tied into the jail broken IPSW that you installed during the jailbreak. However, at the very least, it will make you have to rearrange all your icons, keyboard settings and location warnings, all of which has nothing to do with MMS or the network. In other words, you'd be creating more work than necessary. If resetting the network settings does work, then the other settings wouldn't make a difference.

As for me, I un-jailbroke, restored to new, installed OS3.1, installed IPCC 5.5, re-synced select programs and all contacts and calendars and I still can't get it to work. I've installed IPCC 5.1 and entered the settings mentioned earlier and that didn't work. I installed IPCC 6.0 (Stealth) with correct settings and that didn't work. I've called AT&T twice now, and once I was told there was some kind of block that they lifted and that didn't work. My second call resulted in them telling me I had the wrong messaging plan, that there is a plan specific for Iphones, but that didn't work either. I've had them check and confirm my IMEI# and ICCID numbers and they checked out. My last resort is to go to Apple on Thursday. This is when I expect them to tell me (after a few feeble attempts at troubleshooting) to go back to AT&T since this is their baby, not apples. Or they will tell me that they can give me a refurb for a modest price since I'm past the 1 year warranty.:(

Thanks for the response. I think I agree with you in that resetting all settings should not make a difference. I'll just hold off on MMS until they jailbreak 3.1 and then I can install the carrier file.

As far as your situation, it sounds like you have tried just about every option. Hopefully Apple will be able to help you out, but my guess is that it's something with AT&T's side whether they are willing to admit it or not. Something can't be right in their system. Good luck to you.

JrFreak

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
I'm having visual voicemail issues now. I can listen to a voicemail perfectly the first time, but I have a real tough time getting to play again. I didn't notice this before I did the MMS update.

Anyone know what might be going on?

ItsDarts

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009

FINALLY!!!!!!! I have MMS. Unfortunately, it resulted in me upgrading to 3.1 needlessly, loosing all my cookies and resetting all my settings. but, I suppose I'll be ready for a new jailbreak once the Dev teams comes out with a new pwnage.

If anyone is still having issues with their MMS, here are a few things you can try for trouble shooting.... First, disable 3G and attempt to send using only the Edge network. I discovered I was able to send on Edge, but not 3G network. If this is the case for you, next, if possible, take your sim card out and put into another AT&T phone and attempt to send yourself an MMS on that phones 3G network (yes, you can send MMS's to yourself if MMS is working). If it produces an error, then the problem is with the SIM information attached to your account and you can Tell AT&T about your experiment, but you will have to tell the actual higher up Tech support people, not the customer care drones. If the MMS goes through on the test phone on 3G network, then the problem is hardware related to your Iphone, call Apple and get a replacement. Only took a week, with 3 calls to tech Support, 12 emails to Tech support, a trip to the ATT store and a useless trip to the Apple's Genius bar, who "Genius" didn't even own an iphone.:cool:

jouvernile

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
not working

mms not working, I did all that is ais to do here, the camera is there in the bottom of the mms screen, I can take a pic but when I try to send it, it gets 90 percent sent and stops with a red error exclemation point in a circle and I am not able to recieve messages either. please help

Feel free to sticky this thread:

WINDOWS VERSION
1. Download this carrier update file (v5.5)
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/29849/ATT_US.ipcc (5.5 Official Carrier File)
http://projectdownload.googlecode.com/files/ATT_US.ipcc (5.5 Official File alternate link)

IF YOU WANT MMS/TETHERING/AND VISUAL VOICEMAIL http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5QLYW0PL (ATT_US_STEALTH.ipcc 6.0ipcc) MUST BE ON 3.0/3.0.1
*Tested and working in my 3.0.1 3GS*

2. Close iTunes (if it is already open)

3a. Click Start > Run > type:cmd then press enter. Run this command: "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

3b. (If you're on x64 Windows) Click Start > Run > type:cmd then press enter. Run this command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

4. Open iTunes.

5. Hold the shift key while clicking update under your iPhone in iTunes.

6. Change the file type to “iPhone Carrier Configuration files” by clicking in the the bottom right corner and switching to *.ipcc. filetype

7. Find the file of the carrier update you just saved to your computer in step 1, select it and click open.

8. Your iPhone is now updated. Make sure to reset your phone, and when it restarts, MMS should be working.

Mac/OS X Instructions

http://projectdownload.googlecode.com/files/ATT_US.ipcc (5.5 Official File alternate link)

IF YOU WANT MMS/TETHERING/AND VISUAL VOICEMAIL http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5QLYW0PL (ATT_US_STEALTH.ipcc 6.0ipcc) MUST BE ON 3.0/3.0.1

2. Close iTunes.

3. Open the Terminal Application and run this command: defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE

4. Open iTunes

5. Hold the Alt (Option) key while clicking update under your iPhone in iTunes.

6. Find your file of the carrier update you downloaded and select it.

7. Wait for the update. Once it’s done, turn off your iPhone and turn it back on.

8. Your iPhone is now updated and MMS should be working fine.

Troubleshooting:
Those receiving the 0xE800003D error: Did you install a carrier theme from Cydia? Like the AT&T logo or MakeitMine? If so remove that and try again. It seems that others before were getting that error because of this.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
mms not working, I did all that is ais to do here, the camera is there in the bottom of the mms screen, I can take a pic but when I try to send it, it gets 90 percent sent and stops with a red error exclemation point in a circle and I am not able to recieve messages either. please help

Sounds like you either have the wrong carrier file installed or your cellular plan has no texting in it.

The carrier file has to be specific for whatever cellular carrier you are using.

ie: can't install AT&T file and use with t-mobile plan.

jouvernile

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
nope

No I have At&t and I do have texting, it starts to send the message but stops just short of completing and won't send also I'm using windows xp
Sounds like you either have the wrong carrier file installed or your cellular plan has no texting in it.

The carrier file has to be specific for whatever cellular carrier you are using.

ie: can't install AT&T file and use with t-mobile plan.

jouvernile

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
I don't have carrier settings tab, only reste is in generalthen reste not in network but I'd have to reset all settings or check reset network settings?

Did you go to settings/general/network go into the carrier settings tab and try the reset settings button ?

Only other suggestion I have.

ItsDarts

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
I don't have carrier settings tab, only reste is in generalthen reste not in network but I'd have to reset all settings or check reset network settings?
try reading post #158 and if you can put your SIM card in another phone. If you can't send MMS from another phone to your own phone number, then the problem is in the way ATT has your SIM connected to the network. Call ATT and have Tech Support, not customer care, check this out for you. It fixed my problem after a week. You should also read the rest of this thread as there are other fixes for various situtations that may or may not apply to your setup.

bozo8787

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2009
Feel free to sticky this thread:

WINDOWS VERSION

2. Close iTunes (if it is already open)

3a. Click Start > Run > type:cmd then press enter. Run this command: "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

3b. (If you're on x64 Windows) Click Start > Run > type:cmd then press enter. Run this command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

4. Open iTunes.

5. Hold the shift key while clicking update under your iPhone in iTunes.

6. Change the file type to “iPhone Carrier Configuration files” by clicking in the the bottom right corner and switching to *.ipcc. filetype

7. Find the file of the carrier update you just saved to your computer in step 1, select it and click open.

8. Your iPhone is now updated. Make sure to reset your phone, and when it restarts, MMS should be working.

Mac/OS X Instructions

2. Close iTunes.

3. Open the Terminal Application and run this command: defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE

4. Open iTunes

5. Hold the Alt (Option) key while clicking update under your iPhone in iTunes.

6. Find your file of the carrier update you downloaded and select it.

7. Wait for the update. Once it’s done, turn off your iPhone and turn it back on.

8. Your iPhone is now updated and MMS should be working fine.

Troubleshooting:
Those receiving the 0xE800003D error: Did you install a carrier theme from Cydia? Like the AT&T logo or MakeitMine? If so remove that and try again. It seems that others before were getting that error because of this.
Mods: any chance this could become a "Sticky"?

Or this does not work with 3.1?

S Brake

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Utah
I can't get it to work. I'm on windows 7 and whenever I do the first command prompt it tells me that "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
When I open up iTunes it doesn't find any ipcc files when I do shift and update.
Any ideas?

antonucci

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
I can't get it to work. I'm on windows 7 and whenever I do the first command prompt it tells me that "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
When I open up iTunes it doesn't find any ipcc files when I do shift and update.
Any ideas?

You either dont have itunes installed, spelled something wrong or you should be using this command: "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1 the one you used is for 64bit ver of windows. when you shift click on update change the file type your looking for in the drop down menu from .ipsw to .ipcc.

antonucci

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
I was able to update the carrier file but the camera icon does not show up.

I am running a 2g 3.0 iphone with a mac, please help

check your mms is turned on in settings>messages>mms messages

jan08 said:
Sorry for the dumb question guys, but I'm on 3.1.2, do I need to follow these instructions to get mms working?

no just hit update again in itunes to get the carrier file. these directions are for people that arent using 3.1.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.