How to install OS 9 on PM G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zackkmac, Aug 29, 2013.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

For the life of me I cannot get OS 9 onto my PM G4 Quicksilver. I have put in the install disc which it sees fine but it will not boot into it. Under OS X the disc loads fine and I get the window with 2 "Install OS 9" options but when clicked, System Preferences open and attempts to load Classic but I do not have an environment set up for it.

Now, I have tried to copy the "System Folder" from the disc itself and onto my separate internal HD, which is there solely for OS 9 (and does have the drivers installed). I have even ran a bless command on that folder and still nothing.

Any suggestions? :confused:

2. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

What version of OS9? I think early Quicksilver models required 9.2 or later. The 2002 models maybe required 9.2.2?

Does it give you an option to boot from the CD if you hold down the option key?

3. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is version 9.2.2. And no, I do not get that option. :(

Strangely enough, I have tried copying the CD contents to a USB drive and when I try to boot from that, I get a flashing floppy disk screen. But nothing like that with the disc itself.

4. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Did you ever put Linux on the Quicksilver? I ask this because I did that once on my old iMac G3 700 years ago. When I went back to OS X, anything even remotely related to OS 9 got borked.

Since it is 9.2.2, I know it isn't the OS 9 version that came with the Quicksilver. Mactracker states it came with at best 9.2.1 and 10.1. Since you've tried booting from the CD, my best guess is that you have a restore disc that is not keyed specifically to the Quicksilver.

Your best bet is to do a piecemeal install. Tweak the Finder to show hidden files and then state what is in the hidden files here.

5. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Boot from cd

Boot from cd, install OS 9 then reboot. In OS 9.2 startup disk control panel you will have option to boot OS X then reboot and then classic should run fine. It's a dual boot machine so you can run OS 9 in classic mode or boot to OS 9.

6. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is a 9.2.2 retail disc, and the hidden files (on the install disc) are Desktop DB and Desktop DF.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

9.2.2 retail discs never exists. The highest OS 9 retail disc is a 9.2.1 disc. 9.2.2 only came on restore discs.

8. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hm. Then it's not 9.2.2, might be 9.2.0 or 9.2.1.

9. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Should be fine

Start up with your disc in the drive holding the option key then choose the OS 9 disc. 9.2.1 should work fine on that G4.

10. WMD macrumors regular

If holding down Option doesn't work, try holding down C instead.

11. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have tried both option and C, with nothing about the disc showing up, attempting this with various versions of OS 9 and on multiple types of media (USB, DVD, CD).

FWIW, I am using torrented versions because I only need OS 9 for 5 minutes. I have to have it to flash new firmware to the G4 to allow it to use the new Sonnet processor I bought. After that I'll never need to use it again. But everything I have downloaded has been said to be "retail" so I thought it would work. :confused:

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Pirated versions don't work, you have to use an actual OS 9 disc. Also, discussion of piracy is not allowed on MacRumors.

13. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Copies

Well that's the problem. Pirating is illegal no matter why. I am sure you did not bless the disc to make it bootable as is required.

14. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

15. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Remember

Apple does allow for making legal copies for your own use for your machine as it was designed for OS 9 and it came with that machine. You could call apple as they are supposed to have replacement in back stock sometimes if you beg a little they will send you a copy fo your machine if they have it. I did it last year and got 9.2.1 on CD. It just depends what they have left.