How to Install OS X??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aggieue, Dec 26, 2008.

1. aggieue macrumors newbie

:confused:I just purchased my first macbook pro and need a little help. It is a great mac with a ton of memory and hard drive but when I purchased it (used) Windows XP was installed on it instead of mac's OS X. However, I do have the original discs to install OS X on the mac. I want to install it and completely remove Windows XP but I dont know really know how to. I tried to research it and ran across something concerning PearPC?? If anyone could please tell me the best way to do the os x installitation and windows removal-step by step please- it would be greatly appreciated!!!:)

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If you have the retail copy of Leopard put it in the computer while it's running. Restart your machine holding down the option key. If there's a firmware prompt (not likely) enter the password. Select the disk and go.

If you have the two gray disks it's the same as above. insert disk 1 and do the same.

Consult the manual for greater details.

What you'll do, though, is when you start the installer, go up to the menu bar and select disk utility. you should wipe the drive and reformat to journaled hfs.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/leopard_install-setup.pdf

Choose erase and install.

3. aggieue thread starter macrumors newbie

How to Install OS X?

I tried doing this. After I restarted the computer a gray screen came up with an icon of a hard drive that said windows and a cd that said OS X install CD 1. I clicked on the OX X icon and waited for the computer to finish restarting but it just opened back up in windows? Any more help??

4. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

What else is on the CD? I believe a MacBook Pro should have an install dvd, not cd.

5. aggieue thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a gray disc with the apple symbol on it that says, MacBook Pro. Mac OS X Install Disc 1. Mac OS version 10.4.6. I also have another disc that says Mac OS X Install Disc 2

6. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Try inserting the first install disc. After it mounts, restart your computer while holding down the "C" key. This will tell the system to start from the disc drive instead of the hard drive. Then follow the prompts. If there is nothing you wish to save, erase the destination drive before install.

7. aggieue thread starter macrumors newbie

What would happen if I just entirely earsed windows before installing os x? would i even be able to make my computer function w/o windows on it?

8. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Erasing windows before installing OS X would have no ill effect. It would be beneficial, in my opinion.

This must be done when started from the install disc, however. So that you may install OS X.

9. aggieue thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried holding down the C key as I restarted it but no prompts came up. It just continued to windows. I know the macbook recgonizes the cd because I restarted it once holding down Option and clicking on the install cd icon, but from there it still just continued to windows. I really dont know what to do here! Please HELP!

10. aggieue thread starter macrumors newbie

So what would be the play-by-play method for removing windows and starting from scratch?

11. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

When restarting with the install disc inserted, try the old 4 finger salute. Immediately after the system starts, hold down the command-option-p-r keys. This will reset the system's parameter ram. Hold the keys until you hear the startup chime at least twice. Then hold down the "C" key. This should remove the system's desire to start from the selected startup disc and allow the C key to start the system from the disc drive.

How new is the MacBook Pro? Can it start up from system 10.4.6?

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What are you doing on the "Option screen"? After you click the CD, it should come up with an arrow pointing to the CD. Click the arrow and it should boot into the installer.

13. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

If the MBP is late 2008, and it has 10.4.6, you got shafted. You should have 10.5.5 at the minimum.

In any case, I would recommend going with 10.5, if you can afford it.

14. aggieue thread starter macrumors newbie

The mac book was supposed to be 2 months old. When the option screen comes up and I click on the arrow under the cd, it still goes straight to windows xp...no other options come up....

15. aggieue thread starter macrumors newbie

I also tried that four finger trick by holding down the option-apple-p-r keys and then the c key but it still opened in windows xp....if I was to completely delete windows xp and then try to install os x would it work?

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well that's because the 2008 models don't support Tiger, so whoever sold you the computer, you need to contact and get the correct discs.

17. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

As alphaod said, you have got the wrong set of Software Restore disks in your hands if it reads 10.4.6 and the MBP is actually only 2 months old.

Either that or the MBP you got is far more than 2 months old, as the last MBP models that shipped with 10.4.6 System Restore disks were those introduced in April (15 inch) and May (17 inch) of 2006!

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

An early 08 Macbook Pro should have the ability to run Tiger. The only difference between the early 08 and the mid 07 model was the processor. One uses merom and the latter uses penryn. This should have no effect, it is the same generic architecture and they both use the same Santa Rosa chipset.

Thats all theoretical of course, there might be other factors involved.

Edit: Of course I've overlooked the fact that the original Santa Rosa Macbook Pro would have shipped with a higher update point than 10.4.6, in which case it might be necessary to somehow slip stream in, a la Windows, a higher point update ie. 10.4.11

But yes just contact whoever sold it to you and get them to send you the correct disk would be the easiest way to go about it.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Does it have a black keyboard and black frame around the screen? If so, your disks won't work.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In answering the original request, assuming the computer came with the right disks (or you have the right ones):

1) Insert Restore DVD #1 or Retail DVD.
    2) During boot (before the Apple logo), hold the 'C' key until the Apple logo appears and the gears show up. You may release the 'C' key.
    3) You will be greeted with the installation GUI and the continue… click "Continue".
    4) Go to the top menu bar and select 'Tools'—>Disk Utility.
    5) You will be presented with your HDD on the left. Select the parent drive (oppose the individual partitions), and there should be a "Partition" tab; click on it.
    6) In the drop down box, choose '1 Partition' and click the [Options] button and select GPT partition table.
    7) Now select "Mac OS Partion (Journaled)". Give your partition a name; default is 'Macintosh HD'. Now click 'Apply' and the drive will be formatted and ready to have OS X installed.
    8) Now you can exit 'Disk Utility' and continue the OS X installation. You can choose a customized one (which I won't go into detail).

Regards.

21. aggieue thread starter macrumors newbie

So, what I believe I am gathering from everyone is that my mac does not support os x 10.4. So, if I were to just purchase the newest version (10.5) it should install correctly?

22. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Even if your computer would support a particular build of OS X, you still need either the restore DVD for your specific model or a full version of OS X.

Restore DVDs are designed to support the very specific model and build that they were shipped with and will generally not work on other models.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It would help if you posted what computer you have. Specs would help.