How to install OSX in my MBP? After SSD install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BluAffiliate, Oct 2, 2011.

1. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

Hey guys, running into some issues installing OSX on a new SSD I bought.

I bought the disk and installed it into my MBP (late 09), when I turn it on I get a grey screen with a "?" and a folder. When I put in the OSX dvd, the optical drive simply isn't even functioning.

Anyone know a fix?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

is the osx disc your using the one that originally came with your mac?

3. BluAffiliate thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but that's not even the issue: The optical drive isn't working at all!

----------

I'm seeing if there may be a way to set up osx without using the optical drive?

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If the optical drive isn't working you can get an external USB or firewire drive or flash drive and install from that (need to create a bootable installer). You could also clone your older drive or boot from it and install onto the new ssd.

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Did you partition and format the SSD first?

Boot from your installation disk, but before starting the install, run "Disk Utility" from the toolbar and partition your SSD for OSX Journaled. Then exit the Disk Utility program and continue with the installation.

If Disk Utility doesn't see the SSD drive ... you have a hardware problem.:eek:

Regarding the Optical Drive ... was it working before you installed the SSD? If so, you probably unplugged a cable and didn't re-install it correctly. If it doesn't appear when holding down the "Option" key during power up, then it isn't hooked up properly.

-howard