How to install parallels and win 7 on my air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dread, Nov 4, 2011.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

I am considering buying parallels 7 for my mac air and want to make sure that my install plan will work. I would use remote disk from my wife's mac pro to get parallels on. Windows 7 would be downloaded from the Universities website that I work for. I am new to mac and have never used or installed parallels. Is this a realistic plan?

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I think that should work, although an easier option might be to get a USB Flash drive, burn the Windows ISO to it, and then install it from that. That's how I did it, and it worked pretty well.

3. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not sure how the download will work from the website as I have yet to try it. If I can download it to a usb I will.

4. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Do your research first and plan it all out. Look for recent articles/writeups and youtube ( maybe ) demo's.

One question at the beginning of your planning is do you want a full bootcamp installation of win 7 or not? Using bootcamp let's you run win 7 native on the macbook air ( just a windows machine ) ... and believe me the mba's make some of the nicest windows laptops around.

Or are you going to just run windows under mac os x? Windows within the mac operating system ... as a guest.

Do you want both options so that you can run bootcamp native but you can also if you want run windows under mac os x?

So figure out what your goals are at the beginning before getting down into the setup details. Once you know what your goal is then start planning the details.

If all you want to do is to sometimes run a couple of windows programs under mac os x then sure parallels will work but there are also free options such as virtual box.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It'll work fine.

The bootcamp installer gives you an option to burn the Windows ISO to a flash drive. All you really need to do is sit there, it'll take care of everything else.

6. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

This!!! I did it on my mini. It was awesome. Use BootCamp to create the Windows USB installer drive, then install Parallels like normal over disc sharing or USB drive or digital download.

7. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I use bootcamp to install parallels? Is it possible to to run win 7 in both bootcamp and parallels with only one copy of windows 7. Obviously I want to save as much space as possible, while having the greatest versatility. I don't plan on using windows programs very often, but I will need to occasionally.

8. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

No. Parallels is a Mac application, so you install it while running OS X.

Bootcamp allows you to install and boot into Windows natively. Meaning Windows runs on its own. In order to go back to OS X, you restart your Mac. You are presented with the option on what operating system to boot.

Parallels allows you to run Windows while running OS X. So you can switch between the 2 operating systems easily.

You can have both, and you can use the Bootcamp partition in Parallels.

The choice is up to you.

9. NutsNGum, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

10. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is what I thought but what do you mean by having bootcamp partitions in parallels?

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It's simple. When you install Parallels, it asks you if you want to use a new installation of Windows, or the one you've already installed via Boot Camp.

Pick the Boot Camp one, and hey presto -- Windows.

12. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

If you create and install Windows through Bootcamp, you can also tell Parallels to use that installation, instead of creating another installation of Windows for Parallels.

13. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh that sounds easy. So if I want to use bootcamp as well, I install window 7 through bootcamp and then install parallels and this will not take up any additional space?

14. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Correct!

15. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

great thanks for all the help. The only reason I am hesitant about bootcamp is I don't want to partition my drive. I guess its not a big deal since I have 115 gigs of free space. Im thinking a 40 gb partition should do it.

16. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

If you don't want to partition your drive, then go with the Parallels-only option. You don't need to partition when you install Windows through Parallels. The entire Windows installation is contained in one huge file. And this file expands as needed, so a basic Windows installation won't occupy too much space.

17. ZipZap macrumors 601

^^^ Exactly.

There are instructions on the net for making a windows USB.

If Windows is on a university LAN, then connect to it on the mac and install.

18. summitRun macrumors regular

Do you mean that windows could reside entirely on a USB flash drive (plus all subsequent files, .doc, .xls etc) and be accessed by only installing Parallels on the Mac? That would be sweet:)

Also...if you do install a BC partition and decide to run Parallels through it do you still have to assign Ram and CPU elements?

If going Parallels only which do you install first?

I am struggling with the same thing as the OP...I cant seem to decide if I want to run Windows natively or not...:confused:

19. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

If you have a large enough USB, you could. I just posted a video on it and Windows 7, MS Office, MS Project, and Visio... along with all the windows updates take up about 28GB. I'm running on an USB 3.0 external hard drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KrFZTpmi80