How to Install patch ? EvolutionUsbExt.pkg.sit

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hokuto, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Hokuto macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have downloaded a patch that is supposed to help with getting a midi keyboard to work with Mac. I am new to the mac pro and the instructions on how to install the patch may refer to an older version of the OS because they don't match what I see on screen. The original instructions (for this old time, so old instructions) talk about clicking on a LOCK icon that appears when you double click on the file... then there should be a prompt asking you to install the file, etc....

I see no lock icon and if I double click on this file
    EvolutionUsbExt.pkg.sit
    all I get is for it to open as a text file and there is nothing I can do with it as a text file. Any idea how to instal this type of patch files?

Thank you for your help

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A .sit file is a StuffIt compressed file.

You need Stuffit Expander or better the Unarchiver (as it opens more than just .sit files) to extract the content of the .sit file, which seems to be a installer (.pkg).

It must be some older software you downloaded there as I haven't seen StuffIt compressed files alot in newer downloadable compressed archives.

3. Hokuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    cheers.

yes it is an old patch but the latest for that issue that still appears on the new MAC PROs.
    I'm going to try in a sec, hopefully it won't do any arm! :)

Thanks

4. Hokuto thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked fine and the patch is doing its job

Thanks spinnerlys!