How to install Sierra PB on a separate partition?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by JerTheGeek, Jul 7, 2016.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

wow, so we're getting public beta today, that's a pleasant surprise for sure!!!
    Anyway, since I want to test out this PB before installing on my main drive, what's the easiest way to do that? Should I create a partition, and if so, is it easy to remove with my SSD on my 2015 rMBP? I remember doing it before on my MBA with Yosemite, but I seem to remember some difficulty removing it. Are partitions easily removed without affecting data on the main drive?
    Thanks

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Partitions can be added, resized, removed just fine without a reformat. This has been true since Leopard.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thank you! For some reason I thought there would be an issue. In that case I'll make a Sierra partition and test it out. In your experience is it decent for a daily driver?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you might be remembering is Yosemite created a "core storage" volume on newer Mac portables that could not be removed in Disk Utility. You had to go into Terminal and remove the core storage volume with the command "diskutil cs delete disk_name" (using the real partition name where I have disk_name).

5. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Ah yeah I think I do remember that.