How to install SL on external HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BasilFawlty, Dec 23, 2011.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I have a early 2011 MBP with Lion. I want to install SL on an external drive. I put the drive install DVD in the MBP and hold the C key to boot from the DVD, which it does. I get to the screen where I choose the language then click the arrow button to continue, and I get a message "MAC OS X can't be installed on this computer" I have tried this with the SL disk that came with my iMac (10.6.6) and also with a disk I bought at the Apple store. I'm trying to install SL on an external disk so I can sometimes boot into SL for some applications. What am I doing wrong?

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

The problem is your GREY Mac OS install Disc is made to run on that iMac ONLY as it's not a retail DVD, and even if you did get it to run it's also too old and as such doesn't contain the right drivers for your MacBook Pro.
    You need the GREY discs from another Early '11 MacBook Pro. See if you can borrow them from a friend. Once you have those you should be good to go.

3. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I also have a store-bought SL disk with version 10.6, but it won't work either. :(

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

The highest update the store bought discs came is 10.6.3. The '11 MBP's shipped with 10.6.7 and you can't install anything earlier than that update, hence why you need '11 MBP restore DVD's.