How to install SL onto external hard drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by polobreaka, Aug 31, 2009.

1. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

is it possible to install SL onto an external harddrive and make it bootable? usb or firewire? i want to do this before i do an actual upgrade on my internal and play with it for a while.

my leopard is running perfect right now so i want to play with SL on an external until some kinks are ironed out.

thanks guys.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

read the thread worng. i want to install ONTO not FROM.

4. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Same way you install onto an internal hard drive.

Plug in your External Drive
    Go into Disk Utilities and format the Drive HFS+ journaled with GUID partition

Once that's done, install disk should see the external drive and you can choose it in the installer.

To boot from it, when powering on the Mac, press C and you should be able to select the boot drive.

If booted in Leopard, you can go into System Preferences and Select "Startup Disk", then select the external disk. Do a restart and it should boot on the external.

5. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

^ awesome! thanks for the info. i would try that after work.

when i did my leopard install, i was holding down C during boot, it didnt have an option for me to pick what i want to boot. it automatically select the optical drive.

6. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

id like to confirm that it works installing onto an external hard drive. also booting from it works perfect as well. im using a 250gb usb external hdd.

now i can continue to test apps for compatibility issues. so far everything runs fine.

thanks for all your help.