Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PimpIntInxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I know this is stupid... But i picked up snow leopard from best buy and i came home... and i realized... I dont have a cd rom drive? hahaha how do i install this thingy?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Do you have a second mac? If not then you'll need that or a friend who can image your SL DVD onto a thumb drive (8gb at least), to which you would boot off of. I imaged SL myself but I have a couple of macs and a super drive ... the flash drive was faster than using the remote optical drive but probably just as fast as the super drive ... but I sound way cooler for doing it that way. ;)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Go back to Best Buy, they have the Apple CD/DVD drive for $99, you'll need it later...

This is false. I've used my SD three times and that was only because my MP was being replaced.

I find the SD useful at times but not essential ... well then again I have another mac that imaged SL for me so ...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Go to a local Apple Store, ask them if you can use a Mac to do the remote install from one of their Macs...can't hurt to ask(and show you legally own the software)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Go to a local Apple Store, ask them if you can use a Mac to do the remote install from one of their Macs...can't hurt to ask(and show you legally own the software)

That is a great idea! Heck you can make an image (I would) on a flash drive in the Apple store. I would do that just in case you need to reinstall it at a later date.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
They won't do the imaging for you, but if you ask, the Apple store will lend you their SuperDrive to install at the store. That's how I upgraded mine.

If you don't have an Apple store, then you'll need to buy a drive.

alice?

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
ATLANTA
I'm sure it's been asked a billion times, but I didn't look for any responses: Should I upgrade to Snow Leopard on my MBA or not? Many of my friends say they haven't noticed the difference on their pros and old school macbooks, but on the other hand I have heard many people say that it speeds up your mac like nobody's business/ other under the hood performance. And if you think I should, please tell me why or why not.:confused:

5DollaFootlong

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2009
I'm sure it's been asked a billion times, but I didn't look for any responses: Should I upgrade to Snow Leopard on my MBA or not? Many of my friends say they haven't noticed the difference on their pros and old school macbooks, but on the other hand I have heard many people say that it speeds up your mac like nobody's business/ other under the hood performance. And if you think I should, please tell me why or why not.:confused:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

buccsmf1

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008

took 3-4 hours to upgrade through air sharing. wouldn't recommend going to an apple store

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Forget all that. Here's what you do: (1) Get an 8GB USB Flash drive - costs about $10-$12. (2) Download SL release via torrents. (3) Install SL via USB flash.

Since you legally bought SL already, downloading SL image is perfectly within your rights.

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Forget all that. Here's what you do: (1) Get an 8GB USB Flash drive - costs about $10-$12. (2) Download SL release via torrents. (3) Install SL via USB flash.

Since you legally bought SL already, downloading SL image is perfectly within your rights.

Great advice counselor..........:rolleyes:

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
can't you just use the disk you got with the notebook to install software onto any pc and then install remotely?
If you can't get access to any pc or mac you may struggle with this method.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
When I upgrade to Snow Leopard, will all my personal data be lost? Sorry for the newb question.

No. By default, Snow Leopard will leave all of your files in place and in tact. You have to do a little digging to do an erase and install.

mine wasn't, but don't rely on it. If it goes wrong you'll appreciate a backup of your precious data or even the entire os (time machin ^^)

+1 Backups are really important anyway, but especially when you're doing an OS install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.