how to install software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dragonmaki, Jul 16, 2007.

1. dragonmaki macrumors newbie

i am new to mac and am not sure how to install this software. The readme file says

TO install the application simply mount the disk image (you can use PowerISO or MagicISO) from the French Folder and install from there.

another readme file says

Open the folder called app (in the iso) and double click the setup icon.

After that open the rosetta stone application (while the cd is in or the image is mounted) voila.

when I double click setup.exe, it says there is no default application to run files of type .exe. I'm not sure what application I should choose to run it.

there was no .dmg file to click on (that has worked for me in the past)

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Sounds like you are trying to install Windows software onto your Mac, which is not going to work.

.exe are Windows executable files, PowerISO I believe is not available for Mac.

3. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

4. dragonmaki thread starter macrumors newbie

5. dragonmaki thread starter macrumors newbie

what if it is an .iso file and it says "the application failed to mount"? this is another instance/ version of a similar software.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I'm not aware of any Mac software that comes on a downloaded ISO that's acquired legally. There may be some, but usually you'll find it comes on a DMG (similar to an ISO). I suggest you give the MacRumors guide another look.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Rosetta Stone comes on a hybrid CD so I guess if it's available for download then it'd be an ISO file. There should be a Mac app on the CD somewhere, and you should be able to mount the image just by double-clicking it. "The application failed to mount" may indicate a bad download.

8. Angrist macrumors 6502

Linux Distros for the x86 Macs come as ISOs.

But thats the only thing that I've seen.