How to Install SSD into 2010 refurb Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hbomb168, Mar 2, 2011.

1. hbomb168 macrumors newbie

I just received a refurbished 2010 15" Macbook Pro and my new OWC 240GB SSD in the mail today. I haven't even powered it on yet and was wondering what the best way to install this would be in order to transfer my entire hard drive from my 2005 iMac.
    Should I copy the HDD from my iMac onto the stock Macbook Pro HDD first, and then copy it onto the SSD and install the new drive? Or should I just install my SSD first, install Mac OSX, and then transfer my files from my iMac?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd install Mac OS X on the SSD first, then grab a Firewire 800 to 400 adapter and boot the iMac into Target Disk Mode. Then you can use Migration Assistant to port over all the data from your old iMac to the new MacBook Pro.

3. simsaladimbamba

As the 2005 iMac is using a pre-Intel version of Mac OS X, a clone cloned to the SSD or HDD of the MBP would not work and the MBP wouldn't boot.
    It would be best if you install Mac OS X onto the SSD and then use Migration or Setup Assistant to transfer your iMac's data, which is connected via FW in Target Disk Mode, or Ethernet.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

If you have a Time Machine backup of your iMac:

4. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

turn on your mbp first to see if everything is working. after that, turn it off and install the ssd.

turn on mbp and follow the steps to install os x.

then use migration assistant to transfer your files from the imac. if that doesn't work because of the age or os version differences from the 2 machines, then, i would manually reinstall the apps.

5. hbomb168 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I installed the new SSD after turning it on and making sure it works. I'm trying to install OS X with the install disc and it is not recognizing the SSD when I have to choose where to install OS X to. Any idea what is going on here?

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

After you've started up from the OS X install disk go to the utilities menu and then select Disk Utility. From there select the SSD and under the Erase tab select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and hit erase. After that try to install Mac OS X on the SSD.

7. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Be sure to erase the disk using "Disk Utility". Make sure you erase it to the "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" format.

EDIT: too slow, lol

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It's like there's an echo in here today, lol :p

9. hbomb168 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think my new SSD might be bad. It didn't even show up in disk utility.

10. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i would check again to see if the ssd was actually plugged in correctly. ie, cables are firmly secured, etc.

and see if that works.

11. hbomb168 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked the connection again and now it freezes on the language selection screen? I put the stock HDD back in and everything works fine. Should I try using the SSD as an external drive to see if it works? Maybe once I clone it it will be fine. Any thoughts?

12. axu539 macrumors 6502a

If it doesn't work internally, and you can't even install OS X on it, something's wrong. Call up OWC and see what they say. Personally, I'd go for an exchange, even if there's a fix, since I'd hate to start off with my $500 SSD on the wrong foot.

13. ImaITGuy macrumors newbie

Dude..I just did this exact same thing and it could not be more easier than this.

1. Setup your MBP with the drive that it came with to your liking.
    2. Download the free software "Carbon Copy Cloner" - just google for it
    3. Get an external enclosure or something to allow you to plug in your SSD via USB
    4. Open Disk Util and Erase the SSD and choose Mac OS Journaled as the file system
    5. Run CCC and choose your Mac HD as the Source and the SSD as the Target
    6. Hit CLONE - and wait.. it will clone your HDD to the SSD and make it bootable.
    7. When its all done simply swap them out and presto! Your running on your SSD.

I will probably be doing this again in a few weeks. I currently am running a 64GB C300 SSD..had just purchased a hybrid SSD/HDD drive and it was fast but wanted to see what my real SSD would do and it literally runs cirlces around the other drive.
    I now use the factory 250GB HDD as my time machine drive.

-

14. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

you can always try to put the ssd in an external if you have an enclosure on hand, just to see if it works. but, it seems unnecessary since you want it to be your mbp's main drive and not an external and the mbp doesn't recognize it even when it is installed correctly. i would try to contact the drive's manufacturer and see what they say. they might have a solution or try to return it for a new one that works.