Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
Hey guys, recently I have played with Live CD of Ubunu Linux and now I would like to intall it on my 6GB partiotion. I have alreeady downoalded and burned the install CD. Now here come questions:
-from what I know it will ask if I want format my drive, which I don't want since my Tiger is on my main partition, how to go pick the right partition?
-I beliefe I will have to change format of that partition, if yes then how?
-I don't want to install the boot manager ("yaboot") thing that determines from partition to boot, how do go about of not installing it?, I will be using Option technique during boot for that.
-is there anything I should look out for, any options? I don't want to mess up my current system.

Also, I have backed up all my data, so time is the only thing I will loose if anything.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
Oh well I have done the research my self and the result was a success, screenshot below :D
MacRumors perhaps wasn't the best place to ask such a question, but it was worth a try.

P.S. This thing is pretty good for FREE OS :)

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 391

phonemonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
Virginia
ubuntu rocks, that's why it gets half my hd, installation's a hell of a lot easier than a lot of other builds of linux as well. And forget for a free os, that is a pretty good os for any OS.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Mac_Freak said:
Oh well I have done the research my self and the result was a success, screenshot below :D
MacRumors perhaps wasn't the best place to ask such a question, but it was worth a try.

There's some Linux users here but you're right, it's perhaps not the best place. The Ubuntu Forums is very nice for questions regarding Ubuntu (and Linux).

P.S. This thing is pretty good for FREE OS :)

Indeed! My Powerbook crashed horribly and now that I've recovered all the data on it, I'm planning on installing Dapper (the next version, now under development) and see if I can get Airport working :D

Edit: Or not. Damn flacky PB drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.