Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I used up all my blank DVDs and I don't have a big enough flash drive, is there another method? Sorry if this is the wrong section.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
1. Download the Ubuntu ISO.
2. Add a partition to your internal drive with Disk Utility. Make it big enough for the Ubuntu ISO.
3. Restore the Ubuntu ISO to that partition via Disk Utility.

Is it really that simple? How would i go about restoring the iso? also I have windows on here too

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
Is it really that simple? How would i go about restoring the iso? also I have windows on here too

I believe in the Restore tab of Disk Utility, you would drag the ISO into the source textbox, and the new partition to the destination.

I think you will have to shrink the windows partition to make the free space for the new partition. Should only be 1GB, right?

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I believe in the Restore tab of Disk Utility, you would drag the ISO into the source textbox, and the new partition to the destination.

I think you will have to shrink the windows partition to make the free space for the new partition. Should only be 1GB, right?

it is creating 2 partitions now, I read on lifehacker that linux on os x needs two partitions so i made an extra one, should I get rid of that one? It is slowing my mac down lol. All I have to do is restore the ISO right? Don't have to do anything fancy with it? It won't interfere with windows? Sorry I am in dual boot already so don't wanna mess up anything lol.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada

Highly doubt it that method leaves you without a boot loader for the Ubuntu plus only gives you what is in the .iso. Now that is probably bootable if you install a boot loader but it will be just like running it from a DVD. Your really better off getting some space elsewhere than your already existing install like a DVD to burn it too and external drive to install on less chance of you screwing up your machine that way.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Can't you copy/paste whatever is on your used USB's to a hard drive then use the USB? Once Ubuntu is installed you can over-write the Ubuntu iso on the USB with whatever was on it previously.
If you already had Grub2 installed you could boot the Ubuntu iso direct from Grub.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Well if anyone cares, it failed. Said resource unavailable and all that stuff. Ended up messing up my windows partition so I had to reinstall Windows 7. Fun.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
Well if anyone cares, it failed. Said resource unavailable and all that stuff. Ended up messing up my windows partition so I had to reinstall Windows 7. Fun.

Is there a reason to permanently install Ubuntu where running it in a virtual machine wouldn't work?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Is there a reason to permanently install Ubuntu where running it in a virtual machine wouldn't work?

Direct access to the hardware would be one advantage you don't get from a virtual machine, so if a real graphics driver running is an important part of why you are doing it then it is a must. I recently did similar to what the OP wants a triple boot on what I call my HackBookPro an Acer 6920g what a convoluted mess it was installing you need a combination GUID/MBR hybrid on the HD that needs to be synced with gptsync to have that work. In the end I have Win 7, Kubuntu and Mavericks on the same machine with everything except the SDHC card in OSX working I replaced the wifi with mac compatible card.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

If you have Windows in Boot Camp you can't add another partition without destroying Windows. It's a limitation in the EFI unless you mod it with rEFIt.

The resource unavailable message came up because you didn't mount the Ubuntu ISO before restoring its contents.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
well i have a usb stick now, so anyone mind explaining to me? I followed the tutorials but for some reason it didn't work, or it didn't show up on the flash drive when i told it to eject.I believe windows still works, right now i have ubuntu in a VM.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
well i have a usb stick now, so anyone mind explaining to me? I followed the tutorials but for some reason it didn't work, or it didn't show up on the flash drive when i told it to eject.I believe windows still works, right now i have ubuntu in a VM.

So basically you want to boot Ubuntu from the USB first and then install it on your Mac?

Restore the Ubuntu ISO into the USB stick first. You have to mount that ISO before restoring. Make sure you restore the mounted ISO, not the ISO file itself into the stick.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
So basically you want to boot Ubuntu from the USB first and then install it on your Mac?

Restore the Ubuntu ISO into the USB stick first. You have to mount that ISO before restoring. Make sure you restore the mounted ISO, not the ISO file itself into the stick.

Is there a way without destroying windows? Also the option to mount is greyed out.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
If Windows is in a Bootcamp partition you can't create more partitions without breaking Bootcamp. That's just how it's set up I'm afraid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.