How to install/uninstall programs in OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by asdfTT123, Nov 8, 2007.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

Pardon me if this is a dumb question (currently a Windows user), but how do you add/remove programs in Leopard? I tried to delete the trial versions of iWork and Microsoft Word to get some HD space back and all I did was click and drag the folders from the applications to the trash can...is that all I need to do or are there additional other steps? Thanks.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It depends. Generally, dragging the app or its folder to the Trash is enough. But some apps come put more complicated hooks into the system and should be uninstalled using an uninstaller that comes with the app. If it comes with an uninstaller, you should use it. But many apps can be uninstalled just by dragging to the trash. You'll leave behind some tiny preference files, but that's generally fine.

Have a look at this guide for some tips.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

AppCleaner is a free app and will get rid of the application plus the extra files.

4. stewacide macrumors regular

That's it. All the program files/resources are within the .app (right-click and "show package contents" to see that it's really a directory of files).

Your preferences are generally saved independently in your user directory, so deleting the program leaves your preferences in place (so that if you re-install it they'll be retained): unless you're truly obsessive about removing every trace of a program this is nothing to worry about.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Note that leaving the preference files behind can be a good thing or a bad thing. As stewacide points out, if you decide to reinstall the app at a later date, all of your preferences will still be in place. But if you run into problems due to a corrupted preference file, simply deleting the app won't help.

So yes, apps like AppZapper, AppCleaner, and uApp are pretty good at cleaning up the little bits left behind from these "drag-and-drop" apps. (Disclaimer: I'm not sure which, if any, of these have been updated to work with Leopard if that's what you're working with.)